what keeps softener from freezing in garage?

Old 11-04-14, 08:02 AM
L
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
what keeps softener from freezing in garage?

im helping someone look for a house and in the development any extra room in the utility room literally doesnt exist. so every home has a softener in the attached garage. the room is right next to the garage. this is a middle unit townhouse. neighbor who rents next door says their softener never froze but i have a few questions

is the occasional running of water what keeps things from freezing or is it the salt in the unit (doubt any long term winter vacations are in their future but just in case i'm curious)

does it matter if the existing unit is replaced by another 'all in one' unit or with separate resin and salt tank?

any other warnings about such a setup are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-14, 08:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Middle unit townhouse - tuck under garage? If so, it just plain may not get that cold in there.

Old 11-04-14, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The salt definitely has an effect, but I agree...it probably never gets that cold in the garage. It would be different if it was an unheated cabin in the mountains.

Very, very few attached garages would get cold enough to freeze unless you are in a ridiculously cold area. Even then, normal water usage and insulated lines would be enough to prevent it.

Trust the neighbor if he has the same setup.

Old 11-04-14, 09:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 529 Votes on 486 Posts
Especially after last year's unusually cold and long winter. If it didn't freeze then it probably never will.

Old 11-04-14, 02:12 PM
I've always said that the lack of wind keeps them from freezing. If you are worried, place a blanket around unit with a 60 watt light bulb. keep blanket from touching bulb. There will be enough heat to keep it from freezing.

Old 11-04-14, 02:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 230 Posts
Just because water freezes at 32 degrees doesn't mean the water in the tank will freeze at that temp. It takes an extended period at or below freezing to freeze the water, especially larger amounts of water. I have 2 gallon buckets of water for my dogs and goat. It got down in the 20's a few nights ago but all their water had was a thin layer of ice at the top. I'd probably hang a light near the softner if it was expected to get extra cold for an extended period.

Old 11-05-14, 08:23 AM
L
well this is all great news! glad one problem they wont have if they buy this. i'm guessing this garage is more tight than mine. i hvae a breezway then my garage so its just as cold as outside even though i have an 'attached' garage. but theirs has 3 sides covered by other structures so this is good

and i really have no clue how old the softener is but it looks really old. i got a 2 tank system put in my own house back in 07ish and it was about 1K. so i told them even if they needed new it wouldnt be more than 2 K probably.

and for space limitations id say stick with the single tank unit. but id research before they bought one. also i do have a hard water test kit so id check the function of the current tank before buying new.

Old 11-05-14, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
the lack of wind keeps them from freezing.
Wind only affects living objects normally. It will remove heat FASTER (just like blowing on soup) but it will not cool the object below ambient temp, unless it has moisture on it that evaporates and contributes to the cooling effect.