water softener vs water filtration and questions

Old 11-10-14, 06:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water softener vs water filtration and questions

Hello,
I live in an area of Denver with very hard water near Commerce City,Colorado. The water has mineral buildup and I am considering what to do. I have been researching and it appears that from what I have been reading and hearing that softeners work the best in this area. I have my concerns though.
1. Would higher end softeners cause salt in the drinking water? Also in the garden hose for my plants and gardens outdoors?I was considering Kinetco or Rainsoft as I have read good reviews.
2. Would home water filtration systems like the Halo 5 or Lifesource solve the problems or just simply filter the water?I am noticing a powdery substance on my skin after showering and notice mineral buildup on my water bottles and shower glass.
3.Are there any other options?
4.Would I need both? I am just tired of the itchy feeling and ready to solve it. Also notice clothes with scratchy feeling. I have been told by several plumbers in the area that this water is very hard because the water wells are shallow.
Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-14, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
One of the water pros should be along, in the meantime here's my layman's 2 cents worth:

1. There won't be a significant amount of sodium in the water. It won't hurt your plants. Here's some reading on that question:

Water softeners: How much sodium do they add? - Mayo Clinic

2. Water filters filter and water softeners soften (remove calcium). The ones you mentioned are supposed to do both. I'll let one of the pros comment on that.

3. You didn't really say if this is city/county water or your own well. If it's city/county, you should be fine with just a regular softener as the water will already have been filtered. If it's your own well, I would get a water test done to see if filtration is really necessary. You'll need a water test done at any rate before you buy a softener so that you get one that's sized properly.

Old 11-11-14, 05:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 533 Votes on 490 Posts
If you live in the city request a copy of the water report. If you have a well contact your local Health or Environmental Services Dept. and have them test your water. This will give you an accurate and unbiased analysis of your water. Once you know what's in your water you can more intelligently determine the best treatment.

1. All resin/salt type water softeners put salt in the water. It's easier to think of them replacing minerals in the water. Generally calcium is removed and replaced with sodium or potassium depending on the salt you use. There are other, non salt type methods but a traditional salt type is most common.

2, 3, 4. It's hard to say without knowing what is in your water. Without knowing any specifics of your water we're just guessing.

Old 11-11-14, 07:41 AM
J
I have city water.Not well water.Thank you for your reply.

Old 11-11-14, 07:53 AM
J
Denver Water Quality will be coming to test my water. I can see after testing possibly what might be going on. Then if I need more questions answered I'll be back. : )

Old 11-22-14, 02:10 PM
J
Hi,
I had my water tested and the hardness came back as 75 and calcium was 53.
Is this considered hard water? Is the calcium reading elevated? Would some sort of softener help?I also have a fairly new Rinnai tankless water heater.My house and Rinnai are 1 1/2 years old. I have had the Rinnai maintained buy the plumber who built the plumbing in the house.He was the plumber who built all the plumbing in the house and installed the Rinnai. When I shower at out local rec center I fell normal but when I shower at home I feel a powdery white film on my skin. I was told by the plumber it is because the water is hard here. I am not sure how to interpret these water results If indeed I have hard water with possibly elevated calcium levels? Maybe that is what the white stuff is on my skin? Or is there something wrong with the plumbing and Rinnai here?
Thanks,

Old 11-22-14, 05:48 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is the 75 PPM or GPG? Softeners are sized based on the GPG content of the water. At 75 PPM it will be about 5 GPG which is slightly hard. If it 75 GPG (doutfull), it is extremly hard.

Old 11-22-14, 08:29 PM
J
I'll have to call Denver Water Quality on Monday to find out what the measurement is. I'll repost when I know.

Old 11-23-14, 04:43 AM
This is what I found: South Adams Co. Water & Sanitation District, CO - Water Hardness. I don't know if this is who supplies your water or not.

Old 11-24-14, 03:16 PM
J
Denver water is the supplier.The measurement is 75mg/ml they said. and the alkalinity is 53 mg/ml of calcium carbonate. I have a phone call placed to the water quality chemist. Are there any questions I should ask when she calls me back?
Thanks for your help!

Old 11-25-14, 04:25 AM
To convert mg/l divide by 17.1 So 75/17.1 =4.3 GPG hardness. The hardness scale is <1-10.5. At 4.3 is may be slightly hard or moderately hard. I can not think of any particular question you should ask.

Old 11-25-14, 07:12 AM
J
One of the water treatment plants is currently down .It normally is 88.
Could I have a problem with something in the way the Rinnai was installed? I have done the Rinnai maintenance with vinegar washes with the plumber who built the plumbing in the house. I am not sure what plumber to call to check the Rinnai. Do you have names of anyone in the Denver area?