Water softener install

Old 11-12-14, 07:39 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water softener install

I had Lowes do my water softener installation. They farmed it out. The installer did not check the drain and it resulted in over 100 gallons of water draining into my ceiling and causing over $5k of damage. I tried to get them to pay for the damage. Lowes did nothing. The plumbers insurance company did an "investigation" without even coming to my home. The problem was: when the house was built (2004) a portion of the drain line, in the ceiling, was removed. This was no problem as nothing was done until I bought the house. The installer did not run a recycle, nor did he check to see if the drain line was working and when the first recycle ran, all the water exited the drain line in the ceiling. The insurance company denied liability. They said he did run a recycle and that the system had no alarm for the drain line. They blamed it on the broken (missing) drain line. My contention is the if the installer ran/tested the drain, it would have been found that the line was not working. He could have pressed the button and looked around the corner to see if water was coming out, he did not do this. If no water was coming out, the problem could have easily been repaired with little or no damage to my ceiling, walls, floor, etc. The insurance company denied stating the installer did the installation to the standards. I contend he did not and should have tested the system. What d you folks think?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-14, 06:51 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In order to properly start the unit up, the installer had to run the unit through the cycles to bleed the air out of the tank. He should have started with the backwash cycle then advance it to the rinse cycle. Both cycles will put out about 2 GPM. It sounds to me that it was an installer error for not properly checking the drain for proper flow.

Old 11-14-14, 08:04 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response, that is about what all the plumbers I called told me. Still, the plumbers insurance company denied the claim as they stated their investigator (a Master Plumber) told them the installation was proper. The plumber even stated that he ran the backwash recycle. This is a lie as if he had he would have seen that not a drop of water came out the drain line.