Kenmore Demand water softener questions

Old 11-17-14, 11:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Demand water softener questions

Model number 625.348470

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0710013.pdf

I purchased a home that had this and the number written on the sticker for water hardness value is 45 gpg, but the unit itself is set to 2 gpg. The water feels kind of soft coming out of the shower, borderline slimy at times. I just did a manual recharge and it's running now.

1. How do I know if the setting is correct? Any recommendations on a water hardness meter? HM Digital TDS-EZ or similar?

2. Appears to be on a recharge timer, so other than filling the salt and making sure that the recharge occurs from time to time, any other maintenance needed other than breaking up the salt if it forms a bridge? Should I make sure the nozzle and venturi is cleaned if I get no errors?

3. What kind of salt do I need and where can I purchase it locally? Natural Salt Extra Coarse Water Softener Salt - 50 lb bag from Mendard's good?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-14, 03:42 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A Hach 5B test kit is the best for testing hardness. They can be found online for about $35.00. There is about 2 inches of water that stays in the brine tank unless it is in a cycle. When the water starts creeping up, check the venturi. If you are on well water with iron, I would recommend salt with ironout in it. It will indicated on the bag about best salt for water with iron. If you are on city water, the salt you memtioned is fine. Also, for city water, you can call the water dept and they will be able to let you know the hardness of the water.

Old 11-18-14, 05:43 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Perfect! Thanks! Will pick up a Hach 5B