Sulfur Smell - Water Softener?

Old 11-24-14, 05:55 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sulfur Smell - Water Softener?

Hi everyone,

I'm been having a sulfur smell in my water and I'm wondering if it may be related to my water softener. I just recently moved into the house back in July and didn't have any sulfur smell at all. However, we weren't real happy with our water pressure so I ended up changing out our well pressure switch from a 30/50 to a 40/60 setpoint (and changed the charge air in the tank). Ever since changing the pressure we've had the sulfur smell in our water. I'm wondering if the increased pressure could maybe be doing something to the water softener and causing the smell.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-14, 06:04 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Could be the softener, then again maybe not.
There is now a stronger flow of water through the pipes and some times that can break lose things that where happy where they where.
Have you tried an extra cycle or two with the softener and maybe some chlorine or iron out in with the salt?
What brand of softener?
Age?
Water quality before the softener?

Old 11-24-14, 06:32 PM
N
No, I haven't tried forcing any cycles on the softener. I've never done that before. I'm actually pretty sure my wife has some iron out that she uses for cleaning stuff (clothes or maybe the toilets/tub.. not sure). If I dump that into the salt, do I need to then flush the softener a few times to get it all out of the water before using the water for drinking again?

I'm pretty sure the softener is original to the house making it about 16 years old. It's a Kinetico Signature 2 tank system. I'm not sure on water quality before the softener. We do have a sediment filter before the softener and it does catch some sediment. When we moved in we didn't realize it but there was no filter in the housing. I went to change it a couple months back and realized the housing was there but empty so I put a filter in. I just changed that filter a week ago wondering if that was maybe contributing to the smell.

Old 11-25-14, 07:08 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it both the hot and cold water?
Had the water tested before you bought the house?
Flushed out the water heater? Just hook a garden hose to the drain and let it run for about 15 min. to flush it out. No need to shut anything off.
Anytime I've had a sulfur smell I've added a whole house activated charcoal filter to the incoming main line and the smell is gone. To try it just replace the cartridge you just installed with one to see if that fixes it.
If it does add another housing so the water goes through your particle filter first.

Old 11-25-14, 04:29 PM
N
I haven't noticed it to be specific to either the hot or cold water. I notice it the most when I'm in the shower so I'm using both the hot and cold. We did have the water tested prior to buying the house and everything checked out ok, but then again we didn't have the smell then either.

I'll have to try flushing the water heater like you mentioned. We are heading out of town for Thanksgiving tomorrow evening so that'll have to wait until next week, but that definitely seems like it would easy enough to try. I'll try and find a filter with carbon in it for the whole house filter. If the charcoal filter fixes it does that mean we have some sort of bacteria in our well?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 11-25-14, 08:12 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation