Any water experts here?

Old 12-06-14, 05:06 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any water experts here?

Back in August we had a new well drilled, and then an "Iron Curtain" filter system installed. Now we have blue staining on our acrylic bathtub, and blue corrosion on the outside of the hot water copper pipe by the laundry tub. They came out 4 or 5 times, tested water and made adjustments, but they cannot find the cause. They said the only possibility left is an electrical grounding issue. I had the water tested today at the local pool store, and here are the results.

PH = 8.1

Copper = 0.1

Calcium Hardness = 0

Iron = 0

Manganese = 0

Are any of these numbers a problem? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-14, 06:28 AM
S
Change cleaning agent for your tub.

Sand the blue corrosion from the copper and wipe it with a paper towel saturated with WD-40.

Old 12-07-14, 09:31 AM
Z
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
hi jim-

Iím no expert but I had blue green staining and it was caused by low ph (5.5). I installed an Acid Neutralizer filter and the problem went away. However your ph is high (7.0 is neutral) and that would rule out low ph, which, as I understand it, is a very common (or the most common?) cause of blue green staining.

But it seems your copper level is low, which seems confusing because I thought, whatever the cause, the blue green is an indication of the dissolved copper in the water.

From the EPA:

The MCLG for copper is 1.3 mg/L or 1.3 ppm. EPA has set this level of protection based on the best available science to prevent potential health problems.

Why is a pool store test checking for dissolved copper anyway? I didnít realize they did that. Well, maybe they do, lol. I would get another test to make sure your numbers are correct and I would get the test from one of the colleges or universities. Thatís what I do. Theyíre not out to sell you a super duper system you really donít need.

Old 12-07-14, 12:47 PM
J
Thanks guys. Its not the cleaning agent. We never had the blue staining until we drilled the new well, and had the Iron Curtain installed.

An electrician was supposed to come yesterday but blew me off.

My main concern is my copper pipes getting eaten away from the corrosion.

Old 12-07-14, 04:56 PM
Z
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts

My main concern is my copper pipes getting eaten away from the corrosion.

I know what you mean. I ignored the blue-green stain for years. I didnít think it was a big deal (my bad). When I cut into my copper pipes I was shocked at how thin they had gotten. The tubing cutter would actually crush the pipe end unless you were very careful. But I had let the problem go for about 10 years. (Donít laugh Ė I thought the blue-green was some kind of harmless algae. lol)

Good luck, you will probably be fine since you are addressing the problem so early.

Old 12-07-14, 07:30 PM
J
Thanks. No one seems to know what is causing the blue staining on the bathtub, and the blue corrosion on the laundry tub's HOT copper pipe. It's just the hot, which must mean something.

Once I get an electrician to check the grounding, and if he says all is good, I don't know what to do next.