Radon system maintenance

Old 02-28-15, 06:03 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Radon system maintenance

Home was built in 2001, 2nd owner. I have a raidon system that pulls air from my basement, thru pvc thru my garage where it has a viewing tube for pressure. The fan is in my attic which you get to my a hatch in my closet. Only thing in the attic is exposed insulation. The thing that appeared odd to me is the raidon exhausts into the attic and does not go thru the roof? Is this ok and what maintenance should i do to the system. Are all these raidon particles going to build up in my insulation or does air circulation thru soffit vents etc carry it away?

Old 02-28-15, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
The radon system must discharge outside.... not into the attic.

Normally the radon companies are very careful in their installations. Yours would be a first that I've heard of where something like that was done.

Old 02-28-15, 05:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Normally a radon (not raidon) mitigation system is pulling air from under your basement slab, not from the basement itself. Is that what yours does as well?

Old 02-28-15, 07:04 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Radon fans also help to reduce the moisture level in basements by pulling from under the slab as stickshift mentioned. Dumping moisture into the attic is always avoided, besides radon exhaust.

The pipe in the basement should be connected to pipes below the slab and all perimeter seams, ceacks, and sumps should all be sealed.

What is the reading on that viewing tube, typically a "u" shaped tube with a fluid in it?

Bud

Old 03-01-15, 05:01 AM
M
It does pull from below the basement slab. The "U" does have fluid it and shows suction. It is not a very old home so all work would have been inspected. I also thought radon installers had to be certified so they would have known how to install.

Old 03-01-15, 07:34 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
If they left their business card I would give them a call and ask. Once their name is attached to that job their reputation is on the line and if the workers cut a major corner, the owner will want to fix it and it should be at no charge regardless of a few years. It's called "good will" and it is one of the best forms of advertising. Your local town planning office might have some of the plans and might show a contractors name.

Radon gas is also heavier than air (8x) so at some times of the year any radon gas in that attic will be filtering down through the house, exactly where the system was supposed to be avoiding contamination.

Bud

Old 03-01-15, 12:09 PM
M
No business card of installer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: