Whole house water treatment system help

Old 04-23-15, 06:53 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house water treatment system help

Hi everyone. I just purchased a whole house water treatment system. It consists of a two tank softener and a carbon tank/declorinator. The water goes through the carbon tank first, then the softener.

Within a few days I started noticing the inside of the toilets turned back. I thought it was mildew/mold but upon investigation I found a bunch of carbon being deposited in the toilet tanks. I took a close look at the water coming from the faucets and found small amounts of very fine pieces of carbon.

I put the softener in bypass, and all hell broke loose. I was now getting moderate to heavy amounts of carbon coming out of the faucets, enough to clog the aerators.

I put the carbon tank in bypass and call the company that installed the units. They came out yesterday and replaced the entire carbon tank and I asked them to pull the tank apart, expecting to see a damaged distributor. But it looked fine, at least to my untrained eyes. They guy looked at the carbon and said it was too fine and said the bag of carbon must have been knocked around to cause it to get this fine.

So no harm done right. Well, today I am noticing a very faint sulpher smell in the water. If I put the new carbon tank in bypass and flush the lines, it goes away.

I think I may be dealing with someone taking shortcuts. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 04-24-15, 05:06 AM
G
Well, if you're on well water, that's where the sulfur smell is coming from. I imagine it should be eliminated with that carbon tank, if it works properly. Why that smell would only exist if the carbon tank is in bypass, though, is beyond me... Hopefully someone else has some ideas!

Old 04-24-15, 05:40 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Did the company test for sulfur? Is there any iron in the water? If the unit is hooked up properly, the carbon should not come through. They may have started the carbon unit up too fast send the carbon throughout the house.

Old 04-24-15, 07:25 AM
C
It is city water and does not have any sulfur that I can detect. If I put the carbon tank in bypass the smell goes away.

I think I am dealing with one of two situations.

1. The tank or media is not new
2. The carbon media is bad and/or contaminated

If all else fails I may service the tank myself, giving it a bath with bleach water, then replacing the media and gravel.

Old 04-25-15, 05:16 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It sounds like something is growing in the carbon tank. If the water smells after passing through the carbon but not before, your best bet is to do as you stated. I would ask the company that installed it to give you a bag of carbon.

Old 05-05-15, 04:55 PM
C
So the company came out and replaced the carbon tank.
It was interesting that you could not smell the sulphur from the top of the tank, once the top was removed. It was not until they were dumping it out that the smell became apparent, and it was quite strong.

However I grabbed handful of the carbon and it had no smell. Go figure?

Well the new tank is on and I am back to getting small particles of carbon comming out of the facets again. I guess I'll wait a few weeks to see if it goes away. 3 different tanks and I can't seem to win.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: