Help with softener size and others

Old 01-13-16, 03:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with softener size and others

My house is a 2bd 1ba. There are 2 people living here. I have some tannin in my water so I plan on mixing media. It is common here to do it. All softener installer locally here mix media. What size softener should I get. I planned on getting a 48000. Removing .25 resin and adding .25 of tannin resin.

For the bypass should I get the stainless or the noryl?

Should I get fine resin because of my iron? I know it is high.

Here are my results.
Iron- 2.5-3.0
Hardness -310ppm
alkalinity-340ppm
P.H- 7.2

Old 01-15-16, 12:49 PM
A
Softener size

It is fine to mix media to treat tannins and water hardness. For the sizing, keep this in mind. To treat your 18 gpg of hardness, you will require at least 1 cubic foot of softening cation resin. But the flow rates are important. 1 cu ft of softening resin will treat 5 gpm of service water, 1.5 cu ft, 7.5 gpm and so on. So check the amount of water needed in the house to ensure you have enough resin for the flow. And tannin filter resin is different. 1 cu ft treats 3 gpm, 1.5, 5 gpm, and 2 cu ft, 7 gpm. 5 gpm is probably all you woulkd require with only 1 bath. And after both resins are installed, the softener tank must have enough freeboard (empty space above the resin in the tank) to allow for the backwash expansion. Usually 45% of the amount of resin should be the amount of freeboard you will require. For example, 1 cu. ft of softening resin and 1 cu ft of anion tannin resin will require 0.9 cu ft of freeboard. So, a 3 cu. ft. tank would be needed (14" X 75").
And a softener will only remove up to a maximum of 2 parts of iron. You will require a chemical free iron filter after the softener/tannin filter to remove your 2.5 - 3 parts of iron. A softener would work for awhile but will fail after a few months. Chemical free iron filters are the only way to go with iron removal. They simply work incredible.
And a noryl bypass is fine, I have been installing them for many years, with no failure.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-16, 05:52 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It is said that you should have soft water run through tannin resin. That being said, I have mix the 2 resins with great results. The only difference is I use 1 cf resin with .5 tannin resin and didn't have that much iron. I would suggest you treat the iron first, but that is your call. Based on the info provided, IMO a 48K system will work.

Old 01-17-16, 09:49 AM
A
Resins

.5 cu.ft. of tannin resin will be a problem with water flow over 3 gpm. It will provide clear water for a limited time. Instead of the 10+ expected lifespan years, good quality anion resin can provide, the resin will become fouled in less than half that time. And tannin resin can be 3X more expensive than softening cation resin. Ex. 1 cu ft anion tannin resin $330. 1 cu ft cation softening resin $101. Even if the tannin levels are <1.5, anion resin beads can develop inner core damage with tannins that are in contact with it for long periods, or in high numbers.
Being cheap with resins in the up-front cost will always come back to you in the form of product replacement and maintenance/repair costs in the future. Always check your water requirements against the resin spec sheets to ensure you are installing/building a water filtration system correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: