Questions on 3 tank Rainsoft EC4 system - iron smell from water

Old 04-17-16, 12:16 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions on 3 tank Rainsoft EC4 system - iron smell from water

We purchased a older home in FL on well water last year, with the previous owner just installing a Rainsoft EC4 system prior to the sale. It was working fine for a while, but lately I just can't seem to get that slight iron\blood smell from the water.

I have it set to regenerate 10lbs of salt nightly, and still have the smell. I have cleaned out the seals on all 3 tanks, cleaned out the brine take a couple weeks ago and still have issues.

Water is crystal clear, just has a slight smell to it we can't seem to get rid of.

When I cleaned out the brine tank, the water was perfect the next day - but since then has gone back to the smell in the water.

Should I see any water at all in the brine tank? Currently there is approximately 2 or so 40lb bags filled, and I can see water.

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-16, 12:52 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
There should be 8-10" of water in the bottom of the tank. You can look down the brine well (round tube inside salt tank) and see if the level is above the air check (bottom most part of float assemble. If the water is at the proper level, I think it may be in the carbon tank. It should draw air to replace the column used to oxidize the smell. Air draw system is located on one side and has a screen attached. This is the brine port. Disconnect the air check and place unit into a draw cycle. Check for a suction. If none, check venturi for debris or drain line for a clog.

Old 04-17-16, 06:52 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The brine tank looked normal to me, about 10-12" of water, and smells 'normal' (salty water).

I was going through the settings on the EC4 heads, and decided to up the Air tank purge to twice a day from once a day. I was reading in a manual the following statement"

Helpful Tip: We recommend the default
setting of once per day. Multiple purges per
day may be required for high levels of iron
or hydrogen sulfide

I observed the purge earlier today, and now the smell is once again gone from the water. I am hoping this may be the problem - or possible cure here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: