Water softner or an iron filter?

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-16, 04:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water softner or an iron filter?

Ok folks I have iron in my water (well water) and its staining my clothes,tub, etc. I had my water tested its 1.2ppm, 4 hardness and a ph 7.0 so my question is should I go with a water softener or a iron filter any info would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-16, 04:49 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Your hardness is not that great so I would recommend a BIRM iron filter.

Old 04-10-18, 10:09 AM
M
WQA knowledge-base states that a cation exchange water softener can remove 0.5 ppm of Fe for every grain/gal. of hardness up to 10 ppm at minimum pH of 6.7 (unaerated water). Since your pH is neutral and your 4 grains hardness allows the softener to treat up to 2.0 ppm of Iron, you can use a water softener to treat both iron and hardness.

Old 04-10-18, 02:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
When I lived in fla my well had both hard water and clear water iron. My water softener did a good job of removing the iron although I always knew if the softener was on the fritz as the water would start to turn brown.

Old 10-21-18, 08:03 PM
S
Moved into a house with a water softener already installed. We ran rust busting salt through our lines and that helped a little but some rust was still getting through and building up in the lines. We ran a triple whole house filter between the water pressure tank and and the salt water tank. That took out the sediment/silt and rust before it got into the water softener. That made a huge difference. Our water was even softer and tasted better. We didn't have the well water odor we were used to. The dishes were cleaner out of the dish washer. We didn't go through so much soap when taking a shower or washing our hands and our skin didn't feel dried out. I found and included a link from someone who installed the same filtration system and configuration we used. Hope you find it helpful.***************

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-22-18 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Link removed
Old 10-21-18, 10:12 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
You can also pre treat the water with chlorine which oxidizes the iron which then allows the water softner to remove anything remaining which greatly prolongs the life of the softner.

This is my system.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1540185112

Attached Images  
Closed Thread