Problem water

Old 08-08-16, 09:52 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem water

We just moved into this house almost 3 months ago. There is currently an EcoWater mixed bed (tannin) water softener that we believe has fouled out. Here is what I know about the well water so far: It stinks of sulfur, has a pH of 6.2 (6.0 after the RO), hardness of ~30 grains, iron ~1.5 ppm. There is also iron reducing(?) bacteria, the one that leaves the toilet tanks slimy. We put in a new vanity sink in the main bathroom and there are light brown stains at the bottom already. We have had 4 different places come out to test the water, Rainsoft (bad idea), Aqua-Fine (place that services the EcoWater in our area), Kinetico, and Culligan. They all recommend different things of course, but the cheapest option of $4,400 from Culligan is still too much for us to swing. I'm looking at what it would take to re-bed our current EcoWater ecr3002 R40 (Aqua-Fine wants $1,500 to do it) with whatever resins it takes to do the tannin and hardness. There is no pre-filter or post-filters in the system and I am trying to figure out the best way to handle the other issues. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-08-16, 02:27 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The pH being low will cause problems removing the iron. So the first thing is to raise the pH. Next would be to chlorinate to kill the bacteria. Follow this with a carbon filter and it will remove the iron and chlorine. Next would be a softener. Tannin resin has to have soft water in order for it to work properly. The mixed bed is not a good idea. You are looking at spending $2500-$3000 for all the equipment.

Old 08-08-16, 02:44 PM
D
That's what I was afraid of. Since I'm new to all this, what would the order and equipment type?
1. Raise pH: I'm guessing some sort of calcite filter? Something like this? Acid Neutralizer Filters | Clean Water Store CWS NF004860
2. Chlorinate: chlorinator? Chlorinator Well Water Package Precision-24 + 15 Gal Solution Tank CWS CS000340: Clean Water Store
3. Carbon filter: Carbon Backwash Filters
4. Softener, I think I can figure that one out with info from other posts.
5. Tannin filter? Tannin Filters

Old 08-09-16, 08:15 AM
Depending on whether you get a flow switch and retention tank the proper order of the equipment. Without a retention tank, the chlorinator will be first then the pH neutralizer. You show an auto back washing model where I would provide an in/out style for my customers. It saves money. Next would be the auto back washing carbon, the softener followed by the tannin filter. If you install a retention tank with flow switch than the pH neutralizer would be first followed by the chlorinator. When I say first, I am not counting the pressure tank. The tank is always the first piece of equipment in line.

Old 08-09-16, 01:58 PM
D
Culligan man came over last night with prices for a rebuilt softener, didn't even let me know he was coming. They are proposing a rebuilt mixed bed HE Softener, a big blue carbon filter, and a 8" ph filter. Cost of the softener and carbon filter is $2900 and we can rent the ph filter for 16/month until we want to buy it for $900. They would install everything, so that factors in some for me. Not sure what to think.

Old 08-12-16, 05:02 PM
D
Pictures of room

I'm not sure if I can make room for all the equipment suggested! The EcoWater will be leaving when the new system comes of course.

Name:  IMG_1048[1].jpg
Views: 279
Size:  28.2 KBName:  IMG_1049[1].jpg
Views: 137
Size:  32.1 KBName:  IMG_1050[1].jpg
Views: 197
Size:  26.7 KB

Old 08-12-16, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
My daughter lives in Jacksonville area, They have a settlement tank outside to aerate the water, It removes the smell of sulfur. From there it goes into water filter system. It is some of the best tasting water around. System was not cheap tho.

Old 08-13-16, 06:16 AM
Instead of a chemical feed pump and 120 gallon retention tank you could go with a pellet chlorinator and a 12x54 mixing tank even though there will be more maintenance. The cost will be less as well.

Old 08-13-16, 09:03 AM
D
I'm ok with maintenance, as long as I know what I need to do of course.
pugsl, we're in Michigan, so anything outside in the winter isn't going to work for us.

Old 08-13-16, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
What's a couple feet of ice between friends.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: