Water tests soft but doesnt feel soft

Old 09-16-16, 06:01 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Water tests soft but doesnt feel soft

our water is 26 grains so of course need a softener.

its new in approx 2007

i used my hach kit and it shows 2 and just charged 2 days ago. in the past it wouldnt matter what day of the week it was, it would feel good. i have the kind of softener that goes by gallons of water before recharging. its a local dealer rebrand and i forget what i truly have.

but the water definitely feels different in my hair. shampoo comes off right away and it just doesnt feel soft and face even starting to get dry.

is there any way for a layman to tell if resin needs replacing?

my guess is 1st troubleshooting would be test day of recharge.

Old 09-17-16, 05:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
If is shows 2 than it's 2 grains of hardness. It may need a slight adjustment but can not recommend anything not knowing what type system you have.

Old 09-27-16, 01:16 PM
L
fun fact of the day. if you have about a cup of salt at the bottom of your softener and you still have 2 grains, you have a darn good softener!!!

Old 04-21-18, 07:34 AM
L
update on this. my water is back to feeling hard again. it tests as 1 though. and the tank is half full of salt. been like this for more than 2 weeks and i did manual recharge 2 days ago.

bought in 2005

Name:  l3.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  41.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-27-19 at 07:45 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 04-21-18, 08:53 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
How many gallons is set on the meter?

Most likely the reserve is too small and your over working the system.

But the short, the photo shows what looks like a 8x44 with most likely .6cubic , with 26grains a system that is under sized now with the hardness now of 26grain

Old 04-21-18, 09:35 AM
L
they knew it was 26 when they install it. and its worked great for a long time. would it be possible to be overworked all this time. i'm here alone so water usage is low

Wouldn't manual recharge make it better regardless of setting?
I don't know how to read the dial

Name:  l4.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  41.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-27-19 at 07:46 PM. Reason: resize picture
Old 04-21-18, 09:53 AM
The meter is set for 550 gallons between regens or cleaning cycles.

If your using 60gallons per day , it is going to take about 10 days before the next regen. That might have started to take a tole on the media.

Also the media might be reaching the end of its ability to hold a charge.

I would be looking to get the meter down to 4 or 400 gallons, and see how that works.

Do you have the manual for the 5600 econ?

Old 04-21-18, 12:50 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Average media life is 10-12 years so your on the upper limit!

Old 04-21-18, 06:19 PM
L
is that an easy thing to change. just pop off the top and refill? i know resin is $$$$

Old 04-22-18, 07:07 AM
L
must correct a few things. softener isnt half full. but does appear to have enough salt. but maybe not. will have to get some soon per pic. if its all under water then should be ok? id be happy if just more salt cured it.

got it in 12 2007 and in the front of manual in my own writing was 61b and then says every 650 gallons

invoice says 24 grains . 5 chlor

Name:  l5.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  26.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-27-19 at 07:50 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 04-22-18, 07:15 AM
L
also the question remains..for short term will another manual recharge do anything or i guess if resin is dead it wont? meaning even if my settings are wrong why didnt 2nd recharge do something.

Old 04-22-18, 12:31 PM
L
i may have had a bridge. i got in there with a stick and broke things up and water level came up. I'm gonna let it soak a few days and recharge then to see if makes a difference

Name:  l6.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  21.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-27-19 at 07:51 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 04-22-18, 01:39 PM
Takes about 3 hours for the salt to make a 26% brine at which time you could start a cycle.

With the high hardness and .5ppm of chlorine the resin is most likely at the end of its life cycle.

Lowering the gallons from 500 to 375 or 400 will buy some time before the media change.

Salt goes into solution at the same rate, be it extra course or pellet. It will take the pellet longer because of mass.

Old 04-22-18, 03:42 PM
L
i need to buy time. last time i called years ago it was 200 ish for them to to resin. unless is easy for me to do?

i really hope just was a bridge. ill kick it on before bed tonight.

also what is the reason the thing shows less than 1 grain on my test kit yet felt not soft?

Old 04-22-18, 03:46 PM
Test kit from who?

How do you know that it is less than 1grain?

Some thing wrong with a local company making some money and feeding a family?

Old 04-22-18, 04:13 PM
L
bought it from amazon . i added one drop and it turned instantly.

re: local company.. who's gonna help ME out? . ill pay the guy to do my resin if he pays 3000 for my transmission. when one talks on the internet one doesnt always know other peoples financial situations and its bad to assume one is just cheap. i could list my medical and other expenses too if youd like .

but this is a forum to help people with softener problems, not question their money habits, right?

Old 04-23-18, 09:38 AM
Yet some of the people your asking to help have a business and give local service.

Strange how the internet company was good for the unit but not the service.

Have you gone to the company in the internet that you bought it from to ask?

Old 04-23-18, 03:29 PM
L
what do you mean internet company for unit.? the softener place is 3 blocks from my house. you are very confused. thats who i called for resin last time to see how much.

also i dont know about you but i have no clue who is typing on the internet. could be kid from his mom basement, the owner of apple, or the king of england. i literally have no idea who is on these forums so wouldnt know who has businesses and who doesnt. yet you act like i'm asking certain people in particular and this is wrong

my guess is the only people that are on the forum to help people are on here to help people. not judge peoples financial situations and assume totally incorrect things about their situations. i thought it very rude of you to infer i dont support local businesses. you know zero about me and what i do with my time and money. which is why u should stick to solving peoples problems, not foisting your ideals on them.

i notice you did not address my need for 3000 for my transmission vs your need to criticize how i spend my money. you've gotten so far off tangent. this forum is about helping people resolve problems. not passing judgment on their financial situations nor dictating what they should do with their money and how they should spend it.

its embarrassing to even have to write all this stuff out but i felt it important to make you realize your judgements about me are not only wrong, they are insulting.

also for the record, look at the name of this forum. it's DO IT YOURSELF. there is no more appropriate place to ask for help for the individual consumer to ask for help to DO IT themselves is there? think about it. hopefully you realize your mistake.

Old 06-02-18, 09:00 AM
L
did manual recharge today. should the dial be way back there. wont it then run 2100 until recharge?

i'm also letting the salt run down and every few weeks i break up the bridge i perceive to be there. which may be the real problem

Name:  l7.jpg
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  l8.jpg
Size:  40.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-27-19 at 07:56 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 12-03-18, 06:57 AM
L
i paid to have the guy look at it. at first he said it wasnt drawing from the tank and took apart the valve and found no blockage. then he tipped over the tank and saw that the bottom was basically a solid block of salt. i told him i had been trying to break it up over the past few months. i guess i should have just dumped it like i did today. i had no idea this tank didnt have a mesh screen . on my old softener i was worried id poke thru the plastic screen at the bottom but this has no such screen. so since it was solid salt of course it couldnt draw very well

cold water before he did this tested at 0 and hot tested at 11 and i told him i did manual recharge on saturday. he said just wait 10 min after i refill and i can recharge and ill be ready to go.

Name:  l9.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  22.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-27-19 at 07:58 PM. Reason: resized picture

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: