Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fleck 5600 Ecominder Salt Setting

MN

02-05-17, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Fleck 5600 Ecominder Salt Setting

Hello Everyone,
I noticed that my Fleck 5600 Ecominder softener doesn't seem to be quite softening as it should be and I'm beginning to wonder if the salt setting is set right.

Can anyone walk me through that as the online company I purchased the thing from doesn't care to get back to me

Thanks much!

Sponsored Links

AK

02-05-17, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)  
It could be that that gallon setting is wrong or that the salt setting as you think could be wrong.
Either way more information is going to be needed before making any changes.
Water Hardness
Iron if there is any
Number of people in the house
size of tank, amount of resin or the companies max capacity that came with the unit

MN

02-05-17, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Hi Akpsdvan,
Thanks for the response, my answers are below.

1)it's a 32,000 grain tank
2) 18 grains hardness according to the Culligan man that came out a few years back,
3) Resin is 1.0 cubic foot of 8% crosslink resin...
4) As far as iron I don't believe we have an iron issue as we don't have rust issues, but maybe that's not a good indicator?
5) Oh and there are 2 of us

AK

02-05-17, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Digital or mechanical?
If is it digital then in the programing capacity of 21000 grain and hardness of 19
Reserve set to 120 gallons.
Salt for 4 minutes if there is a black label on the brine/drain housing 8 minutes if it is blue.
That will be 6 lbs of salt.
default of 10days.
Now if it is mechanical then the meter dial to 11 which would be 1100 gallons and with the back cover off there is a white shoe, salt setting, that to 7lbs and you should be good to go.
Questions?

MN

02-07-17, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)  
look right

Name:  softener1.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  31.0 KBName:  softener2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  17.3 KBName:  softener3.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  36.8 KBName:  dishwater.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  40.7 KB

Thanks Akpsdvan,

It's a mechanical and I've included pics hopefully showing the settings that you told me to set are correct.

Also could the fact that I had a few of the settings very different than you mentioned lead to the brine level to be higher than the salt and float in the salt tank?

After changing to the settings you mentioned I did a regen and now the brine level is way lower than prior and below the salt level, is that a good sign?

I also included a pic of our kitchen sink after filling it for dishes, the bubbles seem better but maybe still not quite normal?!

MN

02-07-17, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)  
sticker

this sticker on the back of the control head made me very confused on the setting...

Attached Images

AK

02-07-17, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Most like setting a system up on max salt setting but that often is a waste.
Now the water level in the salt tank might be high the first time around because there is no table in the bottom of the salt tank, that will add to the water level.
remember 1gallon equals 3lbs of salt, so if the settings where for the 18lbs then there is going to be about 6 to 7 gallons of water depending on the distance between the bottom of the pick up tube and the bottom of the tank.
I am not seeing the meter setting, the dot is most likely under the timer wheel.
It could take a few regens to get the system back on step as I call it, like a power boat getting up on step... if the system has been out of step it can take a regen or two to clean up.
On the meter the 11 should be lined up with a white dot... each time that the unit cleans the eleven will be the reset point and count down from there to 0.

Last edited by Akpsdvan; 02-07-17 at 04:38 PM.

MN

02-08-17, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)  
here's the dot

like you said the white dot was hiding behind the timer wheel. I've adjusted it to line up with 11, does everything look okay now?

Also what does the carrot or indicator mark on the dial mean, as I thought that's what you meant by lining up the "meter dial" Looks like it's for capacity or gallons but does that need to be lined up as well?

Thanks so much!

Attached Images

AK

02-08-17, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)  
The arrow is the starting point, when the system cleans, regens the white dot lines up with the arrow and starts its count down to 0 and the next regen.
Have you run the system though a few regens?
If the water is like it was just after the system was installed then it should take care of its self and life should be good on the water side. The water heater might take some time to change out the untreated with treated.

MN

02-11-17, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)  
Hi there sorry I'm just getting back to you as I've been out of town. Anyway, thanks for the explanation on the gallons indicator. I have not done a regeneration since making the last changes you recommended. Should I? You also asked a question about the system just getting set up...not sure if I had you under the impression that this was a newer installation but this thing has been set up for about 4 years!

AK

02-11-17, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)  
If the water is soft again, let it play out or let it cycle on its own.
If you check the meter at the same time each day after about a week or so you should have an idea as to the average daily use and then how often it cycles. If the water is good 24/7 then there is no more adjusting needed for now.

MN

03-20-17, 08:01 AM   #12 (permalink)  
Water Marks on glasses

just checking in again, everything seems to be working okay at least as far as I can tell. The salt has been going down and has always been higher than the water level in it.

However I do think we seem to be getting more water marks on our glasses from the dishwasher. Have tried the usual using lemishine, Jet Dry, and tried soaking the glasses in vinegar and no luck, still stained.

So I'm wondering is there an additional adjustment I could do with my dishwasher to help with this? And does anyone know how to get rid of these stubborn water marks?

Thanks!!

AK

03-20-17, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)  
Will the white spots come off?

MN

03-20-17, 05:48 PM   #14 (permalink)  
nope

i tried all the "tricks" mentioned and i can't get the white water marks off?

AK

03-20-17, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)  
I will go out there and say that you have silica and there is little to nothing that your going to be able to do about silica in the water.

Search this Thread