well water issue

Old 02-28-17, 09:18 AM
Talking well water issue

Hi all,

I have a well water and in the last year it has changed to smelling like sulfur and leaving my shower and toilets with a red residue or staining the fiberglass a light orange. I can clean the orange back to white but it is vary stubborn. I have had the water tested and we have soft water very little iron. I do use the iron out in the softner through the brine tank. I have shocked the well and it works for a week or two at most. The softner is a water pro model and is about 11 years old. It regenerates every 4 days. We have 4 in the household, maybe the regeneration cycle needs to be increased? I have noticed even now that when I manually regenerate the water is staying pretty much the same sulfur smell and staining continues.

Thank you,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-17, 10:10 AM
So the avg life of a water softener is 10-15 years. When the softener regens is the water good, then slides to bad after 4 days?

Old 02-28-17, 04:09 PM
Water pro means what?
Size of tank equals the amount of resin and then there is the salt load per cubic foot.
Next is the iron level... that is needed.
And then the hardness..........
Then one takes iron times 4 plus hardness equals comp hardness. that comp hardness divided into capacity of the system.
Now if your is 4 days, that would be 4 people times 70gallons per person per day equals 280 gallons.
See where this is going?

Smell in both hot and cold?
If the system never really gets clean then how can it do its job correctly?

Old 03-04-17, 08:09 AM
First off, a water softener is really not meant for Iron removal, while it can take out iron to a point, it is not good for the softener and makes you use a ton of salt with high sodium chloride discharge. A softener will never take sulphur out of the system. Iron and Sulphur need to be oxidized to turn into their natural forms. When these get introduced to the air for the first time (in the shower, sinks, toilets etc...) they start to oxidize and turn into rust (iron) and sometimes a black sediment if there is high sulphur.

Now, just because you smell the sulphur smell does not mean you have sulphur necessarily, you could have iron bacteria. One way to check if it is iron bacteria is to take off the lid on the reservoir of the toilet. if the rust in there looks kind of slimy like snot or frog eggs, you have iron bacteria. Typically Iron bacteria is a nuisance bacteria and not harmful but you never know. The ways to get rid of this would be constant chlorination (pump inside house) or a unit that uses a natural disinfectant like Ozone. Now, an Iron Filter would probably be your best bet. What a good iron filter does is uses a pump to add air into a contact tank so the iron and sulphur oxidize in that tank instead of in your home, then it goes to a 2nd tank which traps the iron and sulphur and backwashes them out every 1-3 days. We use Hellenbrand Promate 6.0 Iron Curtain system 2.0 and have great results, some maintenance is needed roughly every few years on any type of iron filter but if you get one, try to get a 2 tank system with air induction. Single tank systems are cheaper but for good reason, they do not always have enough contact time, especially if you are doing laundry and in the shower at the same time.

I do this for a living so I am confident this will help your situation but without test results from a lab or a plumber it is hard to know. You need to test your raw water (probably an outside hose bib) to be sure what your water really has in it.

Hope this helped!

Aaron

Old 10-08-18, 12:12 PM
You should build a heated outdoor pool/pond and pump it with fresh water if it does contain the sulfur in a high amount and charge people for the use. A spring would be great to tap into since old people swore by sulfur for arthritis and rheumatism relief. My grandmother would have the family bring back gallons if they went to one. I just thought it was a stank for the pits of Hell myself!!
To your point, I know nothing about the softeners, but the orange sounds more like plain rust. Even with the town's city water, they flush the pipes every so often to rid pipes of rust build up. You know this AFTER, when you go to flush the toilet and there's is an orange tinge in the toilet or sink water. (Our office) People find out if they were unfortunate enough to have a load of whites in the washer when they flushed them.

Old 11-08-18, 01:36 PM
The water softener/Ion exchange is not going to affect the odor. You would want to use chemical feed injection of bleach/chlorine or an oxidizing filter. A filter like the IronBreaker or 2510-AIO oxidizing filter can handle sulfur as well as iron, though I prefer ion exchange or removal of ferrous(Clear water) iron.
This better explains how it works:********
I prefer these over chemical feed because you don't have to use chemicals.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-08-18 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising not allowed