Softened water vs. toilet bowl scale?

Old 11-25-17, 02:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Softened water vs. toilet bowl scale?

1. We live in the CO mountains--granite rock--hard water.

2. Since we moved here in '99 we have had a Kinetico water softener... and bowl hard water (assumed: calcium/magnesium) scale.

3. I just tested the water with a Hach kit at two locations, opposite ends of the house. Each test vial required 1 drop for the test sample to go Blue. According to Hach, <1 drop is soft water. The water coming in from the well requires 7 drops to go Blue. The softener is working.

4. Our neighbor has hard water and no softener. They have never had a scale problem. Another friend in the same town the same--no softener, no scale. It seems logical that 'softening' the water does not have anywhere near a 1:1 relationship with scale. Something else is at work causing scale.

5. Years ago I had the Kinetico fellow to the house to check the system. The output was soft. I asked the obvious: 'how can I have soft water yet have scale?' He had no clue.

At a loss!

Mark

Old 11-26-17, 05:18 AM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
Water softener is an ion exchange, it removes hard water ions that make scale, you have proven it is working but the system is not 100% based on age of the media, etc.

Old 11-26-17, 06:27 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Salt will form what loos like "scale" but is very easily washed away. Are you sure it is scale from hard water?

Old 11-26-17, 07:06 AM
M
Absolutely. The 'scale' requires a pumus stone for removal. The finish is short on two of the bowels from same over time.

Old 11-26-17, 12:44 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Neighbor does not mean that the water will be the same. It is possible that while your close there is some differences between the waters.
Scale or the hard water build up can be removed with some thing like citric acid or lemon juice, while the pumice stone use tells me that it is silica and there is no real good way of removing it.

Old 11-26-17, 01:52 PM
M
Please forget the neighbor(s) and forget cleaning.

The point is-- with a hardness measurement of <1 drop, the water is determined soft. Then if soft, why is there any scale problem?

Old 11-26-17, 02:18 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Did you miss the word Silica? it is not scale in the form of scale but one of the items that makes up glass. Softeners will not remove Silica if there is Silica.
Have a lab test for silica.
It might bore you but in the 90's a man had a very nice black chevy pick up that was showing water spots, we tested the water and it was soft, we then changed the media with new resin even thou the resin was only a few years old, but the water spots would not go away.
A test was run on Silica and it was found at a level that would leave water spots with soft water 0grains.
There is another that has the white ring in the toilet while neighbors have no such problem, and neighbors with in 50 yards of his well close.

Old 11-26-17, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Check your PH level also......................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: