Water filtration advice needed - city water

Old 02-12-18, 01:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water filtration advice needed - city water

Hi,
I am on city water (San Diego) and using a Watts Premier WP4 Ro system for the last few years and change filters on somewhat regular basis.
The seals on the canisters were pretty worn out the last time I changed the filters and I ordered new ones, but I am thinking of replacing the whole system because it's just old and I am not sure if it's best for my application.
I keep reading that RO may or may not be the best to filter the city water because it removes majority of the minerals out of the water as well. To me it sounds a little like a promotional pitch for the "re-mineralization" systems, I may be wrong.
Am I better off just getting one of the cheap 5 stage filter systems that is not an RO or the RO still the best health wise?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-18, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
The city is providing you with clean, safe potable water. What do you want to filter out of it? What is your goal with the filtration system?

Old 02-12-18, 07:46 PM
I understand what they say that it is safe and potable, but I don't really trust them. The Flint people were told that too btw. But besides that I and my family can feel the difference in taste of water when we make tea and coffee from the tap and from the filter. I guess we are little spoiled, but I prefer water without the taste of chlorine and/or any other chemicals they put into it.

Old 02-13-18, 12:45 AM
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
I would not over sell city water, I have had 5 stage RO systems for years on and off a well and it's to the point I can even drink un-filtered water as it taste like pure chlorine.

Although there are minerals in water it;s not considered to be of significance with a balance diet.

Pure clean, water is a much greater need/desire,

Old 02-13-18, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
If you mainly want to remove chlorine a filter containing activated carbon/charcoal will work. How well it works depends on the filter you choose and how much contact time the water has with the charcoal but in general a larger filter can work better than a smaller one. Charcoal will also filter out most other chemicals, bad tastes and odors.

Since you already have a RO system... why change? Continue to use the filter you have. Yes, it is overkill for simply removing chlorine and odors but your RO system has two charcoal filter cartridges and I'm certain it does a very good job.

Old 02-13-18, 08:52 AM
Thank you both!

I may just continue using my current system if I can successfully replace the O-rings. I was hoping to waste a little less water if I was to end up using regular filters.

Old 02-13-18, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
RO systems do waste a lot of water. You can limit the wastage by only using RO water for drinking, cooking and making ice cubes but every gallon of RO water produced wastes about 4 gallons of water straight down the sewer. Traditional filters will not have the wastage but the water won't be filtered to the same level as RO.

Watts does have replacement O rings if you choose to go that route.