Water Softener Maintenance

Old 08-10-18, 12:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Softener Maintenance

Hi!

I rent a softener. They send out a little postcard once a year to schedule annual maintenance on the softener.

The last time, the service tech and I were talking and he basically said that the service is overkill on a rented softener-- that I would know if there was a problem and, since its rented, they would replace the unit if it got to that point.

Is this true? Do we really only have a problem if we 'have a problem'? (ie: nothing catastrophic would occur all of a sudden-- we would first see, for example, an uptick in hardness?)

Debating on that annual service

Old 08-10-18, 03:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 786 Posts
I own my softener and never do any maintenance. I put salt in and that's it. For 12 years benign neglect has worked well.

Old 08-10-18, 04:28 PM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
So what is the maintenance they recommend or is it something they want to charge?

Agree, no maintenance on any softener I have ever had!

Old 08-10-18, 07:46 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

the maintenance is usually taking apart the (klack? Electronic valve) valve, cleaning out the orificaces. Also using citric acid to clean something in the tank

i could do it myself, or they helpfully offer to service it for $150

Old 08-11-18, 02:23 AM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
or they helpfully offer to service it for $150
How generous of them to offer, I would decline!

Old 08-11-18, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 48 Posts
The only maintenance that would really be a benefit would be to regularly use an all purpose resin cleaner and to occasionally empty and clean the brine tank.

The salt that you add to the brine tank removes minerals that are attracted to the resin but there can be a build up on the resin that salt can not remove.
Regular use of a cleaner can remove rust and other contaminates that attach themselves to the resin.
All you do is add it to the brine tank with the salt and it does its work at the next regeneration.

Here is one type but there are other choices out there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: