Horrible well water

Old 08-21-18, 05:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Horrible well water

Hello Forum,
my wife and I purchased a house at auction that was vacant for about 9 years. I’ve been trying to gather as much information as I can about replacing the water filtration system that is on the house. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The system is about 15+ years old had three tanks, a potassium permanganate filter and RO mounted under kitchen for sink/fridge. I am looking to replace it completely. I currently do not have water going through the house because I am repairing popped hot/cold and hot water baseboard elements. I’ve got water to the expansion tank and after getting the well up and running I pulled a sample and sent to the lab. I’ll post results below. Had a local company come out and they wanted $8700 for new system using Charger products, he recommended two softeners. One before Calcite tank and one after the Iron tank. He said if I didn’t do a softener first the high iron would clog the pH tank? Had the local Kinetico rep come out and they quoted $6900 that included RO for kitchen tap and fridge. Like someone else had said I’m not opposed to doing my whole system. If anyone has any recommendations as to online retailers or any general advice as a way forward that would be awesome. This is a 2-1/2 bath, 4 Bed, we are currently not living until I get this place livable and water! We are located in Eastern Massachusetts.
this water is Hard, low pH, contains lead and high Iron/sodium. Thank you!!!

Test results in Mg/L
calcium- 35.7
chloride-53.7
copper- .13
harsness-119
lead-.060
pH-5.2
sulfate-180
turbitity-55 NTU
iron- 17.4
magnesium - 7.14
manganese- 17.4
potasium- 2.40
sodium-43.2

Old 08-21-18, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Can't help you with your filtering problems but have you considered having a new well drilled ?

Old 08-21-18, 09:32 PM
T
Unfortunately I don’t think that will work. This whole neighborhood seems to be tapped into the same water. I can see the staining on their fences and driveways where their irrigation is spraying.

Old 08-22-18, 12:07 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So you are dealing with local water treatment companies who are gouging customers who think there are no other alternatives.

Many simple ways to pre treat high iron content, I have a chlorine injection system that knocks down the iron prior to treatment.

I have worked with the guys at Ohio Pure Water for the last 20 years to diagnose and purchase equipment, they are great to work with.

https://www.ohiopurewater.com

This is my current system that I put in about 10 years ago and cost around $3K,

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1534921659

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-18, 04:22 AM
T
Thank you Marq1. I will give them a call today!

Old 08-22-18, 05:59 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Timbo,
Marq's suggestion is good. I would also talk to the original well driller or others if that is necessary, but few will be as knowledgeable about what is down there as the well companies. Wells can hit water at many depths although expensive, if 1,000' would yield great water it would be worth considering.

Bud

Old 08-22-18, 07:43 AM
T
Bud,
I actually had the gentleman that drilled the well in the 80’s out when I was getting the pump up and going. He didn’t mention about the quality of the well but he did say that recently one of my neighbors had to go down to around 500’ because their well was running out of water at whatever depth they were at. My neighbors seem to still have the same bad water at that depth. I will give him a call back and see what he thinks. I am open to any suggestions at the same time I am trying to get the water straightened out correctly without breaking the bank. I have a 10 month old and another baby on the way so a I want to fix it correctly. Besides getting our roof done and trim and paint in this house the water is the last biggest hurdle. Thanks for your suggestion!

Old 08-22-18, 05:40 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I might start with a well company working over the well and see if there is any improvement in water quality.
Also flow rate from the well is going to be very important in any treatment equipment.
Internet companies can only go so far in understanding local water and its challenges.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: