Water filtration system component order

Old 09-21-18, 01:30 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water filtration system component order

So I'm building a new water filtration system for my home. Our water comes from a spring. Based on the water tests and my research, I'm going with three filters and a calcite neutralizer.

The filters are: A sediment filter, Iron & Magnesium filter, and a carbon filter. The calcite neutralizer is a large tank with control valve that will backwash and flush itself regularly.

My question: In what order should these four components go? In other words, what should be first in line, second in line, etc?

Last edited by deathvalleydog; 09-21-18 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 04:06 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Not sure about the Iron & Magnesium filter but sediment is first and carbon filter is the final stage in any water treatment,

Old 09-21-18, 10:06 PM
D
Where do you think the calcite neutralizer should fit in?

Old 09-22-18, 04:14 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The filters probably doesn't make a difference but the neutralizer is something I have never dealt with.

If you haven't purchased equipment these guys are great to work with and certainly will have the answers, have bought equipment from them for the past couple of systems.

https://www.ohiopurewater.com/

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1537614852

Attached Images  
Old 09-22-18, 04:14 PM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
dog –

I’m no expert to say the least and what Marq1 says about placing the sediment filter first makes sense. However, I installed my own AN Filter about 6 years ago and placed it first, immediately after the pressure tank and before the Sediment Filter, followed by the UV Filter.

Pressure Tank-->AN Filter-->Sediment Filter-->UV Filter.

Took me a while to remember why that order (lol).

I saw arguments from some pros that say you want to use a pre-filter before the AN Filter because the AN Filter isn’t made to handle water with a lot of sediment. But another counter argument was that you want to make sure you backwash the AN Filter tank with the proper GPM flow, otherwise if the AN Filter isn’t backwashed at the proper rate the material will not do its job properly, therefore, a sediment filter placed before the AN Filter will (or can) by definition clog up over time and reduce the backwash rate.

I don’t know which argument is better. I took a gamble and put the AN Filter first and have not had any problems. I don’t think my well water has that much sediment anyway, and my water tests have always come back OK (but the water is hard since I decided not to use a softener).

Old 09-23-18, 09:35 PM
D
Zoesdad -

Do you remember what your water hardness level was before the AN filter? I heard arguments that we needed to add a softener if we were going to use the AN filter, but then I read that it's only true if your water was pretty hard to begin with. Ours was at a 3 (considered mildly hard) and the article said unless it was up around 10 to begin with, the AN filter wouldn't make it that much harder.

And since I hate the slimy feel of soft water (plus the expense of the system) we're skipping it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: