Kinetico Model 50 regeneration screw stripped

Old 10-14-18, 09:13 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kinetico Model 50 regeneration screw stripped

I have a Kinetico Model 50 water softener. It recently ran out of salt so I tried to perform the manual regeneration only to find that the previous home owner had stripped the philips head on the screw, probably from using too small of a philips head. I was able to get both tanks regenerated but I doubt I will be able to do it again given the condition of that screw. Is this cap that contains the screw a replaceable part?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-18, 10:29 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Any part on any system can be replaced at just about any point in its life span.

The key is finding either a dealer to sell you the part or finding just the part on line some place, most likely used if on line.

Old 10-15-18, 11:45 AM
T
Finding a dealer that will sell you parts, even on an out of warranty unit, is problematic. My local Kinetico dealer refuses to sell parts and only provides service calls @ $160 each. I did manage to find one out of area dealer that will sell parts but I have to be sure to let them think that I'm local as they won't sell across service areas.

While I like the Kinetico the ability to provide DIY maintenance is important to me to reduce the overall operating costs so I doubt I'd ever purchase another one.

As far as your Phillips head screw goes, if you can't locate a replacement you might try a straight slot screwdriver instead or possibly heat up a Phillips and deepen the existing head a bit. Another option would be to add some quick set epoxy to the top and reform the profile.

Old 03-24-20, 12:41 PM
P
I live in Indiana and that is actually called the actuator. Kinetico will sell you the actuator (screw) for only $3.50 and you don't need an account with them to buy parts. They were very nice on the phone and I will be able to go to the store soon to pick it up and pay for it. I saw one on ebay but it came with the plastic cover and is $60.00. Good luck if you haven't already figured it out. I think this is a very old thread though.