Carrier Electronic Air Cleaner Problems (non stop zapping)

Old 11-17-18, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier Electronic Air Cleaner Problems (non stop zapping)

So I have a carrier electronic air filter and a while ago I noticed it was making the zapping noises non stop. So I checked and one of the cells has a gasket(?) that appears broken. When I use just the other cell the filter appears to work as usual (occasional zap).

Could this be the cause? If so, can I get a replacement part, or even better, can I use something else to accomplish the task?

Pic of damaged piece next to a normal one:

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-18, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 250 Posts
With most electronic air cleaners...... there needs to be two in place for the system to work. The front control panel/cover supplies high voltage to the first element and then on the back of the first element is a contact that is insulated and supplies high voltage to the second element.

You do know that those elements are supposed to be routinely cleaned.... correct ? I take mine out and clean them in the dishwasher every month. If you have a high dust content they should be cleaned more often. The cleaner they are the more effective they are. If you don't clean them..... dust builds up on the high voltage discharge wire and arcs to ground.

There should also be a metal mesh/filter screen in line between the return duct and before the elements to filter out the larger dust particles to keep them from causing the elements from arcing.

Old 11-17-18, 05:39 PM
PJ. Mine works with just one, the contacts are on the side and the two cells don't make electrical contact with each other. I can hear the occasional zap which confirms its working

Yes I know that they need to be cleaned regularly, I did clean them. I clean them both the same way and while it works with one, adding this other cell which has a clearly broken part causes it to zap constantly.

I could try cleaning it again just incase. Do you think it doesn't matter that this piece has been half melted?

Old 11-17-18, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
I didn't even see the burned thru hole until I looked at it closer.
I think I've seen those insulators around.
What's the model on that Carrier unit ?

Old 11-17-18, 06:22 PM

Old 11-17-18, 06:26 PM
The model number would be inside somewhere right? I canít seem to see it printed on the outside.

Old 11-17-18, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Good question. Maybe on the back.

Old 11-17-18, 06:45 PM
PJ. On the inside cover:

Old 11-18-18, 06:21 AM
Is the purpose of this just electrical insulation? If so could I just fill it in with silicone or replace it with a rubber gasket?