Went a year without a softener, installed new one, how long until we see changes

Old 11-19-18, 04:31 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Went a year without a softener, installed new one, how long until we see changes

Hi,

Just curious if anyone know's how long it will take until we start to see noticeable difference since we just removed our old dead softener and installed a new one?

Some background, about a year ago our softener took a dump. Laziness on my part, I finally got around to replacing it with a new generation softener. I went with a GE GXSF30V 32,000. There is only 4 of us in the house but the wife does run the dish washer and does laundry often.

I installed it and set the salt level, I used two Hardness tests and I'm reading around 4-450 PPM. I'm unsure what Hardness level to set the softener at though. Right now it's set to 30?

It's been installed since Thursday of last week and is set to Regen at 2am when needed.

I am still seeing around 400-450 PPM so curious when this might start to come down? Maybe I don't have the hardness set right on the unit?

Any thoughts.
Thanks
Spankey

Old 11-19-18, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
You should start seeing a reduction in hardness on the cold water almost immediately, or as soon as the existing hard water leaves the pipes. The hot water will take a bit longer because you need to use up the hot hard water that is in your water heater tank. That said, I would think after 3 days of showers, dish washing, and laundry you should also see a drop in hardness on the hot side as well.

Did you have it regen after you finished the install? Did you make sure you have the bypass valve set to service?

Old 11-19-18, 06:15 PM
S
Thanks

the bypass valve per the instructions is pulled out. I also did a few regen cycles as well and it appears to be running?

i thought it would be nearly instant for the cold water.

Not or sure what could be wrong.

Old 11-20-18, 02:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Did you check the hardness before the new install? or check it now before it reaches the softener.
When I lived in fla my well water's hardness was off the chart. Budget restraints caused me to buy an undersized softener which helped but the water was still hard. It did take care of the clear water iron though.

I would also think the softener's effect would be close to instant.

Old 11-20-18, 04:47 AM
S
I’m going to take a sample to a water company today and see what they show. In hopes they can recommend what hardness I should have the softener set at? It’s digital and goes from 10-95 right now it’s at 25, maybe I have to raise it higher? Not sure

i think with 450ppm I’m at 26 grains but not sure what that equates to on the softener along the hardness setting?

thanks

Old 11-20-18, 07:48 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
By my calculation you have a usage of 4 people x 80 gal per day avg x 26gpg = 8320 gpd

Based on the general sizing charts , 6,851 - 9,150 Grains Per Day = 64,000 Grain Capacity.

Looks like you bought a undersized water softener meaning your settings will be at max to keep up!

Old 11-20-18, 08:18 AM
S
Crap I’m screwed lol.

so with that calculation I should be cranking up the hardness level on this softener? I can always replace it to a larger one later down the road if need be.

Thanks

Old 11-20-18, 11:00 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Not every one uses 80gallons per day , some more and some less -- way less..

That said, is the unit the same size as the old? larger than the old? or smaller than the old?

Is there another bypass in the system? ie three gate or ball valves in the copper of steel?
It is possible that a cross over is taking place.

With the softener by pass in the correct spot , open a faucet some place and see if there is a water flow on the display... if there is no then look for a valve .. if there is flow then it is possible that there is a fault with the valve inside and water is crossing over within the valve and never touching the resin.

Questions?

Old 11-20-18, 12:16 PM
S
Yeah I don't think we use nearly that much water daily but since I'm on a well, I can't tell.

The new softener seems smaller than the old one though. The old one was the old single tall tank looking style with the brine tank next to it. It's nearly 2 feet taller than the new one. I bought this based on reviews. Some said it handled a house with 3 bathrooms very well. I have 1.5 baths. So I took the chance. I can always upgrade it need be in a year or so. Just a shame have to eat this one cost wise.

I did the flow test with the turbine and it is reading flow so it's hooked up right. I wonder though if my hardness setting is not set high enough? I have it at 25 and I think it should be much higher. Our water here in PA is very hard.

Also there are three valves on my copper piping. One coming into the softener, one out and one on top of the bridge so to speak where they cross over each other. That one at the top is turned all the way off so there should be no cross contamination going? I can only assume that is there to allow you to dial some hard water thru the lines from time to time? Not sure.

Thanks for everyone's help. I think the best thing for me to do is take my water to a softener type store that handles these things and have them test it properly vs me using strips measuring PPM.

I just with GE had much better instructions on this darn thing. For what I paid it could go in more depth on the hardness setting.......

Old 11-20-18, 12:58 PM
S
You guys are gonna laugh your rears off. Mind you I'm a total novice with plumbing and such.

I took my water to our local water Tech company. They sell Eco Smart units and UV and such. They test my water. Turns out my Hardness is 15.

But then the tech and I got to talking and she said, where did you get this sample from. Mind you my house is 40 years old. I said the kitchen sink. She laughs and said I bet money your kitchen sink is bypassed since years ago they didn't want people drinking softened water. Sure enough.... I Come home. IT IS BYPASSED!

I've been testing the RAW water untreated this entire time 450PPM out of the sink. I said to her I wondered why my kitchen line seems to run aside the other main pipes in the basement and why that was? Now I know....

However, out of the bathroom sink PPM is 50 so it's fine. She suggested setting my softener at 18 for the hardness to compensate for a very low .05 for iron.

Thank you all and hope we all shared a good laugh.... LOL I know I feel like a chump

She also said that the unit I have is more than enough to handle our size of home and capacity. But she did say we could use more salt than a larger unit would but she sells 32,000 units all day long....

Old 11-20-18, 04:31 PM
but the wife does run the dish washer and does laundry often.
Every house is different, being on a well myself I can attest the family uses a lot more water than if we had city water, I cant believe what some of my buddies spend on water/sewer.

Old 11-21-18, 11:13 AM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
In most setups I've seen, all the hot water is softened, but only cold water that feeds the laundry and shower. Hose bibs, kitchen sinks, toilets are hard water.
Personally, I do not care for the taste of soft water.

Old 11-21-18, 03:41 PM
Hose bibs, kitchen sinks, toilets are hard water.
Sorry, that makes no sense!

Having the water softener installed on the main provides whole hose treatment.

Your comment suggests that only the hot water would be softened, so all cold water, sinks, showers, toilets, washing machines, ice makers would get hard water,

Would defeat the entire purpose of having a softener!

Dont like the taste, that is what a RO system is for!!

Old 11-21-18, 05:37 PM
S
My entire house is softened minus the kitchen sink. It’s bypassed before the softener. From the main pipe exeting the softener runs thru the entire house it seems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: