Kinetico 4040 OD

Old 01-01-19, 06:16 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kinetico 4040 OD

I live in Santa Clara County and my water measures at 10 to 11 gpg. Our main water source is imported surface water. I had John come and quote me for Kinetico 4040 OD. It includes a pre filter. This system is supposed to have a Chloramine filter too. Our water is disinfected with chloramine. Is the Chloramine filter effective and eliminates the need for a shower filter? I was quoted $5290 ($1700 for installation and plumbing) for the setup including copper plumbing. Is this a fair price as of today? Is this model good?

Is it better to purchase or rent (apart from installation rent is $55 a month).

Is there a way to remove salt from the soft water to use it for drinking?

The system has a 10 year warranty. If something were to break down, is the visit and the part free of cost ? Does it change if we rent it?

Also had one basic question regarding water softeners - we have never had any water softener. We have copper pipes that were installed in 2005. I read somewhere that once you start using a water softener, it will not only remove years of mineral and scale build up but also if minerals are holding the pipes from leaks, lack of minerals in the pipe will make them leak. This is making me hesitate to purchase a softener. How far is this true?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by gamma50g; 01-01-19 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-02-19, 05:20 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The price IMO is way too much. Kinetico's are nice but you will not be able to find repair parts forcing you to use the local dealer. Labor warranty is usually 1 years which means you would be responsible for a service charge. That service charge can be whatever they want knowing you have to use them. I would shop around if I were you. Clack & Fleck both make a system that is affordable and reliable. Removing the old scale build up will take day for day. It is highly unlikely that the build up has stopped a leak.

Old 01-04-19, 07:32 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the inputs. I will look into both the brands mentioned by you.

Also it gives me peace of mind knowing that soft water will not cause my plumbing to leak.

Once again, thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: