Kinetico Model 2000 Stuck Regenerating

Old 01-07-19, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Kinetico Model 2000 Stuck Regenerating

I have a Kinetico Model 2000 that seemed to get stuck regenerating last night. Noticed it had ran for like 4+ hours when the normal cycle time is 90 minutes I believe. I advanced it manually and it seemed to be good.

Looking to crack into it tonight and take a look at what might be wrong. I assume this is an issue at level 1 with a gear of some sort?

Any places online to order small parts like replacement gears/meter discs without having to source and deal with a local dealer?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-19, 04:40 PM
You might try and look at Ebay, there are parts there , they might be what your looking for once you know what your looking for.
It could be a broken paw or some other part that is either broke or jammed and not turning like it should.
Have you been changing the pre filter and with at least a 20micron pre filter?

Old 01-07-19, 05:01 PM
I hadnít realized there was a pre-filter for the first couple years. I just swapped/cleaned it about 6 months ago.

Itís actually a reusable one that the system has on it currently. Not too sure what the microns are on it but I might see if I can switch to just one time use filters. Much faster and probably better filtering. Plus theyíre dirt cheap if you buy a big pack of them.

How often should they be changed? Just based on appearance?

Old 01-07-19, 06:07 PM
Water quality and pressure loss. It could be 2 months, it might be 9 months but really not longer than 12 months or 10psi difference between in and out.

Old 01-08-19, 01:02 PM
Perfect! I definitely need to get something in place because whatever we have now isn't working.

Not sure when the last time the Kinetico "head?" has been fully pulled apart, but GROSS! I took 3 hours last night to fully disassemble and clean it the best I could.

The intake side of the whole unit was basically encased in black hardened scale or sediment or something. I basically had to carve/scrap it off the best I could.

Everything else was completely orange and covered in like rust sludge. I didn't find anything glaringly wrong, minus just being disgusting and potentially not working due to that fact.

I had a b of a time getting all the pawls (?) and springs and stuff back in the top of the level 1. That's by far the worst part. I thought it was installed properly, but the spring on the very last one kept getting under the pawl and popping it upwards. I have the spring a tiny tweak and it finally cooperated. I hope it's all good, but I guess only time will tell. No leaks so that's a good start

Any recommendations on a main water filter for the whole house? I'm pretty sure we have one, but it must not be doing its job. Thanks!

Old 01-08-19, 02:07 PM
Big Blue 20" housing with a 5 micron filter and life should be good. There will be good flow and the Kinetico will have a pre filter to stop the trash from getting to it.
Change the filter about every 6 months or put pressure gauges before and after and look for the pressure difference when the water is running. Some say 10psi others say 20psi difference to change the filter.
You will know if you put it back together correctly when it cycles on its own and in the time frame that it should clean with in.
Either way getting it back together with no leaks is a mile stone that you should be pleased with.

Old 01-08-19, 04:02 PM
Perfect! Super inexpensive as well. Only issue is the flow drop. 10psi is a lot when we're stuck on a shallow well jet pump (nearing it's max lift) and can maybe get 60-65 psi max. Hopefully I can keep it above 55psi end result. I guess more frequent filter changes isn't the end of the world either. Replacement filters look to be $5-15 each depending on quantity.

If you're swapping them frequently enough, are all 5 micron filters the same crap?

Old 01-08-19, 04:30 PM
Look for Pentek or US filter they good quality , cost a bit but better than trashing the Kinetico.
You might even be able to get a use or two out of them.
There are some that start on the outer with say 50 and get down to 5 or 25-1 those work good.

Old 01-08-19, 07:39 PM
Sounds good! Might be a dumb question, but should it go directly after the jet pump to keep crap out of the pressure tank or after the pressure tank before it gets piped into the Kinetico?