Iron water filter project

Old 03-09-19, 04:48 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Iron water filter project

Let me begin by saying everything I am talking about I have just learned in the last 3 days. I am fairly handy (and fairly frugal) but admit my ignorance when trying to decide if this is something I can actually do or if I should just scrap the project.

With that being said, long story short, I live in the country and have bad iron in the water (clogs our showerheads, etc.) and an on/off sulfur smell. Not understanding the complexity of water, I bought a water filter off of Craigslist from a guy who had the exact same problems as myself, but was getting put on city water. From what I can tell it is a greensand filter with a potassium permanganate brine tank and a clack ws1 control valve. I got it for less than 100 bucks. It has sat in a shed for a couple years and I am finally looking to install it. After testing the system before I install it, I believe the circuit board is no longer good, as the screen doesn't power up, and have found a new board for approx. 80 bucks. I have never gotten my water actually checked, but I plan to have my state health dept do it this week. Is this project something I can fix, set up, and figure out myself, or should I scrap it and call a water filter company?
Thanks for any advice and recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-19, 07:44 AM
Received 375 Votes on 350 Posts
Clearly you need to know where to start with the treatment, without that test it's just a guess and you have the potential to spend money on equipment that is not needed!

Old 03-10-19, 01:15 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You will need to know the water quality and the quantity. Greensand filters are heavy and need gpm for proper backwash, failure to do so will shorten the life of the media. If the system sat for a few years the media could be like a rock and will not break up... one can only try.
Pot perm is not a system that I would go with as getting the pot perm is going to be a pain and will make a mess of things if it gets out of the holding tank and if the regen cycle is not complete one will have pink water that CAN NOT BE DRANK.

Old 03-10-19, 02:13 PM
D
Thanks for your replies. I definitely agree that I need to figure out the quality of my water, but I'm not sure how to figure out the gpm of my well system. Also you mentioned pot perm not being the best solution. Is there a newer/better system these days for iron? Before this we tried the the smaller regular replaceable sediment filters, but it would get so clogged that our water pressure would drop significantly (almost stop altogether) within 7-10days of a new filter.

Old 03-10-19, 02:54 PM
Received 375 Votes on 350 Posts
I have an chlorine injection system that is used to remove iron and any bacteria.

Its simple and cheap, uses about a gallon of bleach every month.

Old 03-10-19, 03:46 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What size micron is the filter? is it the 2x10 or a 4x10 or 4x20?

Again chlorine use depends on water quality and water usage......

Some thing to think about is having a well driller working over the well, if the well is 10+ years old there could be build up that is giving a false reading.

If the well has had little to no use in the last few years that to can build up iron that will take time of hard usage to clear out.

Hard usage would be running the well at 5gpm for 72 hours straight.

Old 03-14-19, 04:35 PM
D
I'm not sure how to check the micron rating, honestly the only paperwork I have for the filter is how to use the digital control board. As far as the well, it did sit for a year or two only being used 2-3 times a year, but we have lived in the house full-time for 3 years now with regular use, and filling up an above ground pool. Not sure if that's good enough or not. I am getting the water tested, but I think it will take a couple weeks to get the results back.

I would definitely be interested in what ever would work well, including a chlorine system. I didn't even know that existed .