continuous flushing / 5600SE

Old 08-28-19, 05:32 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
continuous flushing / 5600SE

Hello,

I previously posted some background but for another issue; Suffice it to say I have a system that I don't know much about; I have a well/tank and then two 'filters/softeners' and a bucket for salt.

Of the two filters/softeners, I realized a couple months ago that one of them was flushing continuously; The only way to stop it was to put it on bypass, which obviously worked, but since then, the 'eggy smell' is back (my previous post was about putting these back into service).

I've opened up the back of the unit (picture attached), and ran it through a manual cycle; All of the components move, and at times when the valve is moving, it does stop 'flushing', so I'm wondering if something on the control box is out of wack, or if it's part of the filter itself.

On page 30 of the manual (link below), it specifically speaks about 'drain flows continuously' (Item 11). I do not believe D & E are the issues, having watched it move throughout the various parts of the cycle.

So my question really is, how do I go about items A through C, and can I do all of this work whilst it's piped up, albeit in bypass mode?

Any and all advice is really appreciated.

Have a great day & thanks for reading.

Here's a link to the service manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7jppfcrfh...anual.pdf?dl=0

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-19, 09:54 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Does the water go to the drain when the unit is in service or is it that the system steps through each of the parts of the cycle with out stopping?

If water is going to drain while system is in service a rebuild kit, ie main piston and seal pack will be needed.

If the unit is either going though the cycle with out stopping or is not staying in service after a cycle then either the micro switches or wire harness is bad or even the older Red SE board will need to be replaced.

Old 08-29-19, 01:23 AM
B
Water is going to the drain while system is in service.

I shall look for the rebuild kit!

Old 08-29-19, 09:04 AM
Make sure that the kit has the GREEN end plug like the one your current one has.
There are different ones, white , black and then the green... you will again need the green.

Old 08-30-19, 03:21 PM
B
Are there any tips / links you have as to how & what I'll be doing, ahead of actually doing the service. Is there any mileage in taking the existing apart and rebuilding to see if that fixes anything?

Old 08-30-19, 04:23 PM
There is most likely a boat load of vids on youtube about the rebuild of the 5600.
All the 5600 are the same when it comes to rebuild , just different end plugs for the low water , standard and digital units oh an there is one for Hot water.
Coating on piston goes and takes out seals and the leak starts to drain.
Some times moving the seals around , middle to top or bottom and top and bottom to middle will buy some time but it is better to do it just once and be done.

Old 11-05-19, 07:01 AM
B
I finally got around to this today; First attempt yeilded no success. I decided to try again, and realized that there was not one, but three spacers, and four rubber washers.

Each had debris around them; I washed each off carefully, and also removed a ring of iron debris inside the head unit.

Put everything back together, starting and ending with a rubber washer, and it's working perfectly good again. I doubt it's a long term fix, but for now, it gets the filter back into operation. I've done a few back washes to remove the water that would have been sitting for a while.

On the basis that this is likely an iron filter, will it take hours/days to start filtering again, or are they instant ?

PS: For others interested, this is a remarkably easy unit to dissasemble.

Thanks Akpsdvan & best wishes!