Culligan Gold System won't draw brine

Old 12-10-19, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Culligan Gold System won't draw brine

Hello,
I have a Culligan Gold 10" water softener system, and after noticing hard water, and seeing leakage from the brine piston AND the main valve pack shafts, and a high level in the brine tank, I pulled the valve pack and found several cut seals, and so I replaced it. I also replaced the brine piston at the same time. No improvement. Brine is not being drawn down. I had cleaned the screen on the eductor, but now I removed it and dissassembled it and cleaned and lubed it, and replaced (it was crudded up pretty badly) - no improvement, and if I place the system into the Brine Rinse cycle manually, I get NO suction, and actually a bit of water spitting out of the brine tube if I disconnect it from the float assembly. I also cleaned out the flow restrictor and put it back. What is left to check? The only assembly question I had is the brine piston - is there any specific orientation that it must have going in, or is any orientation OK? I know the plunger has to go in so that it locks into the groove of the bell, but the base has no indication as to orientation (though it might not matter.) Does anyone have ANY ideas? What could still be causing a failure to draw brine?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-19, 09:57 AM
Help me, Akpsdvan. You're my only hope...

Some additional notes - removing the flow restrictor did not improve draw, which is more like a slight blow out of the tube than a drawing of brine when put in "brine rinse" mode.

Took out and inspected the brine piston again. It's the white plastic one, and was new when installed a few days ago. All o-rings are intact and lubricated. Did not remove the main seal but that was new when installed a couple of days ago. the blue eductor was fully installed in the beige housing, which was fully inserted in the valve head, and the screen cleaned and replaced. I do have a lot of iron in my water, but it is removed ahead of the Culligan unit, and no iron is detected after the greensand unit.

At this point I am at a loss, and have no other choice I think but to call Culligan. Is it possible something simply broke or is blocked inside the valve head? Any other ideas? The whole system is about 9 years old, I believe.

Last edited by John Kaprielian; 12-10-19 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Add Information
Old 12-14-19, 08:26 AM
So an uopdate. After doing (almost) everything everyone has mentioned anywhere (replaced seal pack, replaced brine piston, cleaned eductor, cleaned flow restrictor, tightened nuts, cleaned float valve, cycled, recycled, you name it, I took the eductor apart one last time, rolled all of the o-rings, cleaned the nozzle again, cleaned the housing again, relubricated everything, reseated everything, reassembled, and made sure to bleed air out of the float valve by holding down the float as I cycled through to fast rinse. After that, I ran a recharche again and lo and behold, I got a very strog draw! So the upshot is - check your o-rings, roll them a bit and give them a good coating of silicone lube, and make sure to purge that valve. Thanks Aquaman for your PMs!.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM
I am having a similar problem as John but haven't changed any of the o-rings yet. If o-rings were bad would I still feel a little suction at the bring tube? Right now my Culligan Gold Series softener is running through a regen and I have absolutely no suction from the brine tube. I took it off at the brine tank to see if there was suction but nothing. There is water flowing constantly through the softener and out the discharge tube but nothing is coming from the brine tank. Here is a picture Name:  20200124_192814.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  1.41 MB. I have checked the educator, screen, the discharge port and made sure all of the lines were clear. They all look good. I'm not sure what to do next except change the o-rings.

Is it possible to step through the regen cycle without actually waiting for it to complete it's cycle?

Any help is sure appreciated. Wife has been on me for having hard water crust on dishes, sinks, etc. HELP PLEASE