Advice About Whole House RO System

Old 01-28-20, 02:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice About Whole House RO System

I wanted to ask for people advice or reviews about a whole house system. I am relocating from South Carolina to Michigan and the house I purchased has a very old whole house RO system . Not very familiar with these systems, being the water quality where I live now in SC is great, can be used right from the tap with out any filtration at all.

The house uses a 6-7-year-old reverse osmosis system left by the previous owners. The system does not appear to have any consistent branding, so I figure it was something a plumber pieced together, and I was told if Its best to replace the entire system opposed to trying to replace parts of it. I researched and know of products offered by Culligan, Aquasana, and the one a local plumber says they offer but have not found any reviews or people with experience using the US Water Defender system seen here https://www.uswatersystems.com/syste...smosis-systems.

Does anyone know anything about this Brand? How about anyone that has the actual system installed? Might someone be so kind as to give me some pros and cons of this system. I would like to get the feedback from someone other than a salesperson.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-20, 04:18 PM
Received 278 Votes on 259 Posts
Welcome to MI, I think I would rather be in SC and get the heck out of the winters!

I would suggest getting a water test to confirm what you have before spending anything.

I've heard of whole house RO systems but is it needed, is there something that works better/cheaper?

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 01-28-20, 04:21 PM
Received 278 Votes on 259 Posts
I looked at the link after my post, those are some pricey systems!

Old 01-29-20, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
A whole house RO system could be good if your water was free.
A well tuned RO system takes at least 4 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of water with three of those 4 going down the drain.

RO is highly overrated and in most cases already drinkable water can be helped by a simple sediment and carbon filter.
And, if you were going to set something yourself, filters and housings found in box or plumbing specialty stores can be had for not much more than a hundred or so dollars.

Old 01-29-20, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
being the water quality where I live now in SC is great, can be used right from the tap with out any filtration at all.
Your kidding right? The water hear is tainted so bad with chloramines its basically corrosive.. Highest flouride levels in the USA I believe 4ppm.. Toxic carcinogen, and full of VOC,s. I guess you never checked your water reports..

just put your zip code here.

https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/

If it were I , I would get a catylitic whole house carbon filter to treat the whole home..

US water are top dogs and good systems but expensive for what they are.. get the new vortec tanks.

Example. ( and i am not compensated in anyway for my recommendation here. Just who I buy from)

Carbon with vortec tank and upgrade digital metering head. Whole home filtration for bathing and the like

https://www.purewaterproducts.com/products/bw003

And under the sink RO that ususes only standard 4" filters that are none proprietary I get from APEC..

RO 90 not the essence.. Hook to under kitchen sink with dispenser, and tie into your refridge for ice and water. cap the refridge filter..

https://www.freedrinkingwater.com/

This all should be less maintenance and cost of what you propose to do.