Home Master Artesian Full Contact RO System not filling fully

Old 02-25-20, 08:38 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Home Master Artesian Full Contact RO System not filling fully

I installed a Home Master Artesian Full Contact RO system last week and noticed I am only getting about 2.75 gallons out of the 3.2 gallon tank. I went through the procedure on the website pertaining to adjusting the pressure in the tank (they recommend 7 psi with the tank empty) and found the tank to have only 5psi. I adjusted to 7 psi, let the system refill, measured again, and only got 2.1 gallons. I decreased the pressure again to 5psi and was able to get 2.75 gallons again. For the hell of it, I decreased the pressure to 4psi this morning to see if I can get closer to 3.2 gallons. The manufacturer seems to think one of the filters may be clogged, but it seems to me like something else is going on. My water pressure is pretty decent (I can fill a gallon container in about 45 seconds), so I don't think that is the issue. Any idea what would be causing the system to shut off before the tank is filled all the way? FYI, I am verifying the tank is emptying all the way.

Also, I tested the general hardness/gH of the RO water using an API liquid test kit and got 0ppm of minerals. The system is supposed to add between 30 and 60mg/L (ppm) of calcium and magnesium, but it doesn't appear to be adding any minerals at all. Not sure that has anything to do with my problem. They system consists of a sediment filter, followed by a carbon filter, RO membrane, then remineralization filter (crushed marble). I can provide a diagram of the system configuration if necessary.

The website says up to 60mg/L of minerals added using 70 degree feedwater at 77 psi. Whose cold water line has 70 degree water at 77 psi!?

Last edited by mossman; 02-25-20 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-20, 09:00 AM
Received 276 Votes on 257 Posts
The RO tank has a bladder so the higher the pressure the more it inflates taking up volume.

As far as re-mineralization, seems to counter the benefit of the RO system so cant speak to that!

Old 02-25-20, 09:13 AM
M
The RO tank has a bladder so the higher the pressure the more it inflates taking up volume.
Right, but when I increase the pressure using the shrader valve on the bottom-side of the tank, I am increasing the pressure against the bladder making it that much harder for the system to fill it up, correct? And that is why lower pressure allows it to fill up more? My understanding anyway. Maybe it's just a matter of decreasing the pressure enough that it can fill up mostly while still having enough pressure to evacuate the bladder fully. As mentioned previously, I decreased the pressure to 4psi to see what effect that has. It takes 2.5 hours to fill, so I'll check it this evening.

As far as re-mineralization, seems to counter the benefit of the RO system so cant speak to that!
The re-mineralization adds back Ca and Mg and is for taste. It also makes the water more alkaline since the RO process decreases the pH. Not sure I'd want to drink straight RO water with no minerals and acidic pH.

Old 03-02-20, 11:29 AM
M
I decided to contact the manufacturer again and they said I can remove the pressure valve on the outlet of the filter to increase the pressure, so I'll try that and see if it helps.

I'd really like to have some more capacity since I use RO water for my aquariums. I was thinking of getting a 20 gallon pressurized tank from either iSpring or APEC, which hold up to 14 gallons of water (realistically up to 10). If I were to put the 20 gallon tank in the basement below and tee off the line feeding the existing 3.2 gallon tank under the sink, would water more or less be drawn equally from both tanks? I could increase the pressure in the 20 gallon if needed (and/or decrease the pressure in the 3.2 gallon tank) to equalize things. My concern is the water in the basement tank not being used/replenished as frequently as the 3.2 gallon tank and the water becoming stale. Aside from adjusting the tank pressures, would it help draw more water from the basement by using 3/8" tubing for the 20 gallon tank and 1/4" tubing for the 3.2 gallon tank? I suppose I could also move the 3.2 gallon tank to the basement next to the 20 gallon one.