Can't get water to be soft again - replaced almost everything

Old 03-22-20, 01:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't get water to be soft again - replaced almost everything

Hello all,

I have a GE GXSF30H water softener system. A couple of months ago, I stopped getting soft water out of the system. I took it apart and saw that one of the screw stems on the valve body had broken, causing the valve body to tilt forward and not allow the cam to properly engage the motor gears. I replaced the valve body and the seals between the valve body and rotor, cleaned everything and put it back together. Still no soft water. I ran a diagnostic to test the turbine, which was working fine. I checked both the switch and motor to make sure they were engaged and working, which they are. Since the unit is about 10 years old, I then went ahead and replaced the resin beads, along with the venturi. Still no soft water. There are no clogs in the brinewell, no leaks at any of the joints with o-rings and seals, so salt bridges, and the float assembly is working perfectly. Additionally, the control board is showing no signs of malfunctioning or errors. At this point, I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem but it's driving me crazy - any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
~David

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-20, 03:22 AM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
It may be that your water has gotten harder. Have you checked the water at a bypass or prior to the softener?

Old 03-22-20, 03:44 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Have you tried or watched it do a regeneration? Is there water going into the brine tank soaking the salt and then being pulled back into the the resin tank? It might take a while to run out all of the hard water out of the water heater. Also did you reinstall the proper amount of new resin beads? Mine ran out of soft water last summer for some reason (washing cars?)and had to manually do a regeneration several times to get soft water again.

Old 03-22-20, 05:59 AM
Received 276 Votes on 257 Posts
Is this one of those all in one units? If so, and you got 10 years out of it your doing good, they were never a quality unit and probably should just quit throwing good money after bad and get something better!

Old 03-22-20, 12:39 PM
D
I did, yes. I live in Arizona and the water is super-hard, so I checked before and after my fixes and the numbers were unchanged.

Old 03-22-20, 12:46 PM
D
Hi Doorman,

I run a nightly recharge - is that what you mean by a regeneration? Regarding the water fill in the tank, I put in 3 bags of salt which come about half-way up the tank. Should I be able to see the water in the tank during a regeneration if the tank is half full?

Also, regarding the beads, I emptied the container of the old beads and filled it back up with all new beads. I filled it about 90% of the way so that I could replace the distributor assembly without having it overflow.

Old 03-22-20, 01:17 PM
Yes recharge is regeneration...My brine tank takes 6 gallons of water on initial setup, yours may be completely different. My Resin tank has a tube that goes down the middle of the resin that hooks into the water softener head, if that isn't hooked up you won't get the water softened. I am by no means a professional at this , but just going on my experience with mine. 90% full should be about right, also I know that there are different types of resin for different types of hard water, all resin is not created equal.

Old 03-22-20, 02:27 PM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
I did, yes. I live in Arizona and the water is super-hard, so I checked before and after my fixes and the numbers were unchanged.
ddudic, I suspect this in response to my post. My suggestion is to check the water that doesn't go through the water softener. Then check the water after the softener and see if they're the same - of course they shouldn't be if the softener is working.

It may be that the water has gotten harder. The softener may be working but the result is not what you want because of the starting point.

Old 03-22-20, 02:54 PM
D
Doorman, are you suggesting that I add water to the brine tank? Currently, there is about 3.25 inches of water in the tank. Using an online calculator I estimate that about 2.5 gallons of water are sitting in the brine tank.

Old 03-23-20, 03:25 AM
I found a manual on line, yours requires 3 Gallons so that,s about right. GE GXSF30H Owner's Manual & Installation Instructions

Old 03-23-20, 08:39 AM
D
Ah, ok - I missed that message before. I've filled the brine tank and run a manual recharge. Looks like it's just a waiting game now... in your opinion, how long do you think it will be before the water get softer? It's just me and my wife and I'd say we use an average amount of water.