BigBlue filter housing removal problem

Old 04-25-20, 07:11 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
BigBlue filter housing removal problem

This is the 20 inch clear housing. Not changed in 14 months. Yesterday it would not break loose via the plastic housing wrench...not even with a 3 foot cheater bar. Wrench sat at the top of the housing..... and I thought I read that using leverage from the bottom of the housing would give me a better chance of breaking it loose. I stuffed some rags down low and tried. Nope.

Finally, found some giant channel locks.... and used it up top and it worked. Two things possible: The plastic wrench had some give and the metal channel locks did not. Also, the concept of working down low for more force/torque was false.

Any thoughts....Thanks

Old 04-26-20, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I think the housing was over tightened the last time the filter was changed. If you are having to tighten that hard to stop a leak I would replace the O ring.

Old 04-26-20, 03:15 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Are you sure you had removed the pressure in the filter housing?

I have 2 of these filters and found the pressure relief button on the head asm can clog causing excessive force to remove, I actually sheared the fittings going into the housing, I now have a seperate valve to relieve pressure!

Old 04-26-20, 10:05 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Thanks for the two replies. Either the o-ring was replaced or it was lubed and reused. Can't recall. Yes, the pressure release was used and water came out.

So...do you think that trying to twist the housing off....down low, is a better approach than trying up high, near the inlet ? Some ancient guy said ......"Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I can move the world". Dunno if this is the same principle for my problem.

Old 04-26-20, 11:13 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I dont think where your applying the torque is critical, those housings are pretty robust so they are not flexing.

I did find some anti seize that was rated for plastic for the threads, it helped make the disassembly easier!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: