Water softener recommendations

Old 05-21-20, 11:21 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water softener recommendations

Looking to purchase a water softener as the water out here in southern Nevada is very hard and leaves spots on our faucets, shower glass, etc. The thing is that I'm not sure which one to get. I'd like a low profile one that can be mounted on the wall if possible. We use an average of about 3-4 gallons a day, which may go up since we're looking at landscaping our backyard.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-20, 03:39 PM
Received 237 Votes on 224 Posts
We use an average of about 3-4 gallons
No you don't, the average water use per person is around 80 gallons, you could barely flush the toilet a couple times and use more water.

Look up Ohio Water, excellent source for on line equipment, have used them for 25 years.

Old 05-21-20, 10:40 PM
O
My mistake. It's more like 90 gallons on average per day.

I couldn't find Ohio Water, it's buried in search results that includes state and municipal water sources....do you have a link?

Old 05-22-20, 01:31 AM
Sorry, Ohio Pure Water!

Old 05-22-20, 05:14 PM
O
I emailed Ohio but their online catalog looks like what I can get at my local Home Depot.

In the meantime, what are your thoughts on this?

​​​​https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X7XYKRB..._JPgYEbCCMW1YA

Old 05-22-20, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
That type of device is based on a theory that says it can reduce hardness but in practice they are worthless.
The only reliable way of reducing hardness is with an ion exchange softener which is the type that uses resin to remove minerals and salt to remove the mineral from the resin.
This would be a common softener that has a resin tank and a brine tank.

The first thing you need to do is get a water analysis to be able to determine the capacity of the softener you need and if any other treatment is necessary.
How much dissolved iron is in your water would be good to know.
Iron reduces the ability of the resin in a typical softener to remove minerals and if very high your water might need additional treatment or if slightly high some additional softener capacity would take care of it.

Old 05-22-20, 10:01 PM
O
I've seen mixed reviews about those electronic water softeners. They said they don't actually remove the calcium and such but they do alter the chemical properties of the water to soften it temporarily, like for 72 hours by use of magnets. There are actually a number of good reviews on them online. If it doesn't work I can always return it.

Old 05-22-20, 11:15 PM
It is impossible to treat water with devices like that, you better do some serious reading before throwing your money away.

online catalog looks like what I can get at my local Home Depot
Ah, no, the stuff sold at HD is pretty cheap, if you have hard water you want some good equipment.

Nothing worse than getting used to soft water then having issues with the softner!