Remove GE water filter

Old 07-23-20, 02:00 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove GE water filter

Hi I do not need this GE kitchen sink water filter anymore. How can I remove it. The model number for filter is FQK2J.

Notice that five pipes are going into kitchen sink; one hot water, one cold water, one outlet from filter and two pipes are making a curve for some reason I do not know why?

Five pipes going into the faucet; one outlet from filter, one direct cold water pipe, one hot water pipe, two pipes are the same which is forming a curve.

Blue pipe inlet from cold water line. Black pipe from filter goes into faucet

Pipe to show a curve. This pipe in a curve shape goes into faucet

Cold water valve; blue pipe goes into filter, black pipe goes directly into faucet.

faucet from top.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-20, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
Well the looped one with the weight on it is for the pull-out spout. So, you have a hot and cold supply that goes up to the control cartridge/mixing valve. That's 1 & 2. Then the outlet side of the valve comes back down and loops back up to the faucet outlet/pull-out spout. That would be 3 & 4. Looks like there's a T off for maybe a dishwasher from the shutoff valve. Have to think about a #5, unless I'm missing something.
Removing the filter assembly should be a simple matter of turning off water supply, relieve pressure and cut the incoming and outgoing lines. Go to one of the big box stores or hardware store and get a connector. In a visible location like that a Sharkbite connector, or similar, should work fine. Ask the guys at the hardware store and they will probably give you help and instructions. Take these pics with you to show them.

Old 07-23-20, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
Is the 5th one a wire rather than plumbing? Thinking this is one of the touch-control faucets.

Old 07-23-20, 12:52 PM
M
Thanks for your reply. So let me summarize just to make sure I understood correctly.
Removing the filter assembly should be a simple matter of turning off water supply, relieve pressure and cut the incoming and outgoing lines.
Steps:
  1. Shutoff hot and cold water valves.
  2. Remove the blue water pipe going into the filter. (Picture 2 above)
  3. Remove the black pipe coming out of the filter. (Picture 2 above)
  4. Connect those black and blue pipes removed from the filter using a SharkBite connector of the right size.
  5. Turn on the water valves and make sure water does not leak from the newly installed connector.
Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Old 07-23-20, 12:59 PM
M
Is the 5th one a wire rather than plumbing? Thinking this is one of the touch-control faucets.
No that's also a pipe. That's not a touch control faucets.

Old 07-23-20, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Was hoping a real plumber would weigh in on the fifth connection. Yes, I think you have the procedure. Once you turn off the supply valves, though, open a faucet to relieve residual pressure. Also have a bucket underneath when you start disconnecting things. You'll need to know the size of those lines for the proper connector. I've never worked with PEX myself (I'm assuming it IS PEX), so I don't know from the pics what size that is. My best GUESS would be 1/2".

Old 07-23-20, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Old 07-23-20, 03:01 PM
M
Thanks I will try in a day or two and let you know the result.

Old 07-25-20, 08:40 PM
M

So it worked perfectly. Its been 2 hours and the tissue paper is completely dry.
Thanks

Old 07-26-20, 04:07 AM
Group Moderator
Cool.