How to combine Water Filtration and water Softener Systems?

Old 09-12-20, 06:47 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to combine Water Filtration and water Softener Systems?

I have very hard water. I first purchased a full house filtration system from pelican at their recommendation. Itís a dual tank system with the standard pelican 12 inch blue replaceable string filter that you change every six months. The two large tanks are a carbon tank and a filtration tank.

This did not solve the scale buildup we have in the house. I next bought a Yarna electrolysis system that was supposed to help reduce scale. It also has proven to be useless.

So I have now ordered a pelican 80,000 grain salt water softener and need to plumb it in to the system.

I plan to remain using the blue string water filter first in line with the incoming water line and take the output of that and plumb it in to the input of the new water softener. Then I will take the output of the water softener and plumb it into the input of the dual tank water filtration system. The output of the dual tank filtration system goes into my main house water line.

I may plug the Yarna back in as it is the first device in line before the blue string filter. Not sure if this makes any sense or not to do. Does this overall sound like a proper approach to combining the two systems?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-20, 04:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
I always thought that you put the softener last in line so you are feeding it water already treated by your other filtration. I've heard you do this to preserve the resin bed in the softener by giving it the cleanest water possible.

Old 09-13-20, 05:56 AM
Received 347 Votes on 323 Posts
So lets have some understnding of water chemestry.

This did not solve the scale buildup we have in the house.
Hard water is a chemistry, it's made up of primary excess calcium, a filter system can only remove solids, so that was never going to do anything to improve water chemistry.

next bought a Yarna electrolysis system
Sorry to hear, but you along with thousands of other people are swindled out of money buying snake oil, again a big-ol-magnet is not going to remove material out of water, it;s a piece of junk, just throw it away!

So, yes, put the filter first, it will remove all the crud from the incoming water. As a cost savings you can use simple polypropylene 10 micron filters to save some money and you should replace ever 3-4 months. If your water has a lot of soluble iron it will filter a lot out but the filters get pretty clogged.

The carbon filters as PD stated usually come next but a carbon filter is not an actual filter like the first one so it really doesn't make a huge difference, plumb it where if fits best. Unless of course you ever decide to add some type of chlorine system, in that case it goes in front of the water softener to remove chlorine which is detrimental to the resin bed.

Now that we can add pictures, here is my design and built system, sort of a hobby! Going on year 12 without a single issue!

Old 09-13-20, 07:06 PM
H
Thanks for the response. I was hoping that by having the filter after the softener it might remove some of the salt injected by the softener? Does this make any sense?

Old 09-13-20, 09:57 PM
Carbon filters do not remove salt!

Old 09-14-20, 06:11 AM
H
There are 2 filter tanks - one is Carbon and the other is a large filter. It's a dual tank filtration system from Pelican. Does the other tank remove salt by chance?

Old 09-14-20, 07:36 AM
The only system out there that can remove salt is a RO (reverse osmosis) they make whole house but that is pretty expensive and it would replace the water softener.

If the salt is a concern then you should look into a RO system for drinking, cooking, and ice. They are not very expensive and just require filter changes every 6-12 month.