Moving to New home with well water. Help with softner and filter question

Old 01-16-21, 06:08 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving to New home with well water. Help with softner and filter question

Hey everyone, first port here. I am moving to a house with well water. The water is generally very hard in the area, and I would like to put a softner and potentially a whole house filter in place.

I know next to nothing about this stuff, but I'm looking at fleck 9100 or 5600 for the softner...

I'm going to wait until I'm in the house and using the well for a few weeks before testing it to see if I need iron removal before the softner, and maybe a carbon filter by fleck as well.

My question is... what do I really need in terms of a softner? Its just 2 of us in a house with 3.5 bathrooms.

Is there a different brand worth looking at? Aquasana has horrible bbb ratings. Kinetico ties you to working with a dealer. Discount water softners. Com seems like it has ok reviews but I'd rather buy once, cry once, and have something in place that I can rely on.

On the filter side, is there one unit that will just be a good general filter for the house, and then I'll put a RO system in for the kitchen?

Thanks all!

Old 01-16-21, 06:57 AM
C
Received 131 Votes on 105 Posts
I think a whole house filter is a must to keep sand and grit out of valves and faucets. I have an AP102, 2 cartridge filter that is more than 30 years old. The filters are relatively inexpensive and readily available. I have an APEC ROES-PH75 filter for drinking water. It is fairly new (4 months) and we are pleased with the taste of the water it provides. There are just two of us and the filtered output is more than adequate.

We don't have hard water from our well so we haven't needed a water softener.

Jaykhjr voted this post useful.
Old 01-16-21, 11:35 AM
Received 461 Votes on 430 Posts
Just go back to the softener forum and read, there are tons of post, some just the other day with questions and links for all the information related to softeners and filters, then ask questions!!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/w...questions.html

Jaykhjr voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: