New home with well water + filtration/softener question

Old 02-15-21, 01:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New home with well water + filtration/softener question

I recently purchased a house that has well water and a culligan + evolve water filtration/softening system. I believe the system is not working properly as the water coming out of the tap is white from very high mineral content and leaves behind significant deposits. The water also smells like metal and sometimes leaves behind yellow stains in the shower/toilets.

There are 4 main devices (3 culligan and 1 evolve) connected after the 'big blue' particulate filter.
The first device in line has #11668B under the lid. There is no brine tank connected to this one.
The second device in line is #11668A and has a brine tank.
The third device is the Evolve (im not certain of the model and cant see a # on it) and has no brine tank
The fourth device is another #11668B, this time with a brine tank.

I've added ~ 6 bags of salt between the two brine tanks in 2 months which seems excessive to me since I am the only person at the house currently and I dont use a lot of water.

I want to double check the settings for these. What settings are typically used on these devices for very hard water + iron in the water.

Old 02-15-21, 04:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
You need to know the content of your water (have it tested) to know how the softener should be set. I recommend having your county Health or Environmental Services Dept. test your water for impartial results. When you get your test results you enter your hardness into the softener so it knows how many gallons it can process between recharges.

Read up on cleaning a softener. Since you don't know your softener's history a cleaning might be a good place to start. You can buy a specially packaged softener cleaner or you can use Iron Out.

Old 02-16-21, 09:43 AM
J
I had the water test done by an inspector. I have the hardness and iron numbers (both quite high). I noticed in a manual I found for the Evolve that it has a hardness # setting but in my model that setting doesnt appear to exist. I'm not sure on the Culligan devices. They have settings for a few things, including the brine tank draw time but I'm not seeing a 'hardness' setting.

Old 02-17-21, 07:07 AM
D
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I think the hardness setting just helps the softener figure out when it needs to regenerate. It will soften all water coming thru the resin bed until the resin bed can't take any more, then it rinses the resin with the brine to make the resin ready to soften again. In your case, since you have iron, you want the regeneration to occur every 7 days.

Old 02-17-21, 12:14 PM
J
Is it normal that only 2 of the 4 devices have a brine tank? I'm wondering if they dont all have the same type of filtration material in them or something like that. Unfortunately even the company that installed them doesnt seem to have record of what was put in.

Old 02-17-21, 12:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
A softener will have a salt/brine tank. Many other types of filtration do not.

Old 02-17-21, 12:27 PM
D
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I'm still relatively new to the softener world, so if I'm wrong I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in. I don't know if only softeners use a brine tank or if other types of filtration might use one. If you have 2 softeners then you probably have extremely hard water. The other 2 are likely filters of some sort - possibly a neutralizer if yor raw water is acidic, and maybe the other one takes out iron if your iron is real high (softeners can take out some iron.)

You may have to test your water with everything bypassed (sounds like you did this already), then turn on 1 device at a time and re-test the water to see what's different.

Old 02-21-21, 02:56 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Seeing is believing,,,,,, so how about a few photos of the set up.
Two systems use salt, softener and tannin units.
Then there is the greensand unit that uses pot perm.
You talk about the hardness and the other .... what are numbers?
Hardness in either ppm or grains.
Iron?
Mn?
Ph?
Now it would really be helpful to Know the untreated numbers for water Quality and then what is the water like After all that is inline?
Then it is taking it one system at a time.

Old 02-22-21, 07:18 AM
J
I had the water tested a while back and got these numbers (this is direct well water before filtration systems):
The total hardness is 1376.5 mg/L as CaCO3
Iron is 134.5 mg/L
PH is 5.25

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: