...But is it REALLY 4 Stage?!

Old 12-13-22, 05:58 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ...But is it REALLY 4 Stage?!

Hi everyone! So, I got this problem - my water softener is causing a significant drop in pressure in my house. I'm pretty sure the media may be poo as a result of my negligence in keeping the media clean (I didn't replace the salt nearly as often as I should.)

At any rate, I'm preparing to replace the media (I'm a beginner), but I'm a bit concerned about the sticker on the sweat jacket which indicates it's a 4-stage water softener (I find that claim to be dubious and most 4-stage water softeners I've seen appear to be "salt free" and this deffo has a brine tank) I cannot identify the actual manufacturer of the system itself to figure out what kind and how much media I need to buy, but I *suspect* it's hidden under the sweat jacket. ANYWAY - here is what I know:

1. The control head is a clack WS-1 style. No problem, there.
2. The dimensions of the media tank are 10X54
3. The media tank is shiny and black
4. There is no manufacturer or installer sticker on or inside of the control head display thingo
5. Installation date was Q2 2017 - sticker inside the control head indicates software was revised 10/2016

My question is simply this:
If I remove the head and find out it does indeed have a carbon bed, a KDF bed, AND a resin bed, Can I simply clean all that mess out and just put in the requisite amount (1.5cu ft.) of regular old resin beads (potentially just putting in a standard riser/distributor) or must it absolutely be the multiple types of media already in the tank?

Here's a picture of the sweat jacket (Googling the text on the sticker gives me zero help in the San Antonio area where I am located)

Old 12-13-22, 06:51 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE: just finished flushing my water heater and found a BUNCH of soft, blue-green sprinkle stuff in it - I suspect that it is indeed a 4 stage system and that it uses KDF-55 and the containment has ruptured, resulting in copper/zinc blobs making it to the water heater). Luckily, it's so heavy it seems to have sunk and, it does not appear to have made it's way into the home as none of the fixtures/faucets are clogged...Thoughts?

Old 12-14-22, 06:54 AM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
https://www.nelsencorp.com/catsearch...ater-softeners

There is a Nelson company in your area, did you give them a call?

I've never seen a 4 stage softener but who knows what has been made in the past, probably not worth spending much on for repairs!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: