kinetico k5 RO problem

Old 03-11-23, 01:29 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kinetico k5 RO problem

My K5 is 10 years old and has become useless after a pre and post filter change. It was working seemingly fine before the change. I have done the filter change for 10 years running and it has had a new membrane in 2020.

The symptoms are it can fill a glass every 30 minutes and gives no water. the fill is at full pressure.

Listening to the unit I realised it is constantly draining to waste. I have tried the jack screw prime method in the attached troubleshooting. but that seems to do nothing. I have tried removing the pre and post and replaced with caps. Nothing seems to help.

I am hoping to narrow down the problem and hopefully avoid buying a new membrane (if that's not the problem).

Last edited by joe00; 03-11-23 at 01:34 AM. Reason: editor failure.
Old 03-11-23, 05:37 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Membranes are changed every 12-24 months!

Old 03-12-23, 12:26 AM
J
I think if you replaced every 12 months you would be bankrupt (in CAD they are near 300$ a crack)

I have seen various recommended replacement timeframes. But it seems 2-3 years is recommended by kinetico

https://kineticosa.com/blog/how-to-m...smosis-system/

i seem to remember seeing longer time frames and warranties for 4 years.

Old 03-14-24, 10:56 AM
B
Did you ever solve this? I am having the same exact issue I think. I am not sure if mine is draining to waste.

I have only changed pre and posts over 7 years as we use the filter rarely. My wife uses it mostly for drinking water only so mostly one person.

I just did a pre post change, maybe third time, as flow was getting worse and couple weeks later, we are getting a glass at a time.

Old 03-21-24, 04:13 PM
J
I tried everything I could think of and ended up replacing the unit with a new one.

Ironically the new unit also behaved the same way (drained to waste continuously and produced a glass and that's it). So we replaced the 'manifold' (basically everything except the cartridges and storage tank) and now it works again.

The whole thing was very depressing to deal with and I have no explanation for why the problem occured.
One theory was that some plumbing work had been done and perhaps shutting the water on and off created to much of a shock and blew something in the manifold. So perhaps you had been shutting your water on/off when the problem occured?

Kinetico is overpriced but seems a nice system when it works.

It's easy to check if draining continuously to waste as you just check the drain hose which should be stuck into a drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: