Egg smell in water, not on a well water

Old 02-22-24, 07:36 AM
O
Received 6 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Egg smell in water, not on a well water

HI, I live in Floria south of Tampa. We have an egg smell from our master bathroom faucets. They happen to be the farthest away from the water supply. They are used several times daily. All the other faucets in the house do not have this problem. We have water softener too. The beads in it were replaced about 2 years ago. The salt in the softener is always supplied & never runs out, and I always check to see that the salt is loose and not caked up (domed) as that can happen sometimes in these salt systems.
I just can't figure out why the smell is just from these bathroom faucets.

Any suggestion?

Old 02-22-24, 08:53 AM
C
Received 173 Upvotes on 141 Posts
Probably the most common cause of rotten egg smell in water is reaction of the sulfur in the water with a magnesium anode rod in the water heater. This would generally be noticed at all hot water taps throughout the house. It can often be cured or reduced by switching to an aluminum or aluminum/zinc anode rod in the water heater.

If you are truly noticing it only in one room, it might actually be caused by "gunk" in the drain of that sink. Water flowing into the sink pushes air up from the drain and you smell the odor. Try removing the trap from that sink and cleaning it out (and the pop up too, if there is one). You can flush the drain with a bleach solution and then rinse with hot water. Also make sure to flush out the overflow if there is one.

Try filling a glass with water at that faucet and then taking it to another room to smell it, to verify it is the water and not the drain. Also do separate trial with hot and cold water alone.

Old 02-23-24, 12:50 PM
O
Received 6 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hi Carbide,

You were right, the smell was from the drains and Bleach took care of it.

Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: