Mixed Shielding Gas Question

Old 08-30-02, 05:12 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Mixed Shielding Gas Question

I've been using pure (99.4 percent) monoatomic argon as my TIG shielding gas when working with stainless steel, but would really like to try one of the pre-mixed binary mixtures of argon and oxygen that I've been hearing about, or maybe one of the argon-oxygen-carbon dioxide ternary mixes. I want to reduce spatter and protect underbead. Anyone have experiences with mixed shielding gases on stainless?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-02, 04:57 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We messed around with that when we first got our MIG welder at work and it did spatter a lot. But you say your getting spatter with a TIG process?...Are you sure your using the right polarity? Remember it has to be d.c.straight polarity, which is actually positive ground. D.C. reverse will cause this type of problem as you are referring to and will also burn up electrodes as well.... At any rate I've never heard of any other gas but argon being used on stainless steel, but then again.........

Old 09-03-02, 06:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, I agree you shouldnt be getting splatter from TIG,,, none at all. Enough gas? I am short of refrence material at the moment but I see several gasses in the mig handbook which I assume would work with tig. Stargon being one and a couple mixes of Oxy. I will have to look as related to tig though,,, upon reading further it may make a difference which process is used. I was at a nuke and we use all argon I believe.

Old 09-04-02, 04:03 PM
Steve U S Alloy
Visiting Guest
Argon gas is the generally viewed as

the optimum shielding gas for GTAW. However, when welding or joining materials that are excellent conductors of heat, helium can be added to the argon or in some instances used as the primary shielding gas.

GMAW is inherently different where shielding gases are concerned. In GMAW, many different combinations are used to achieve different end means. The addition of O2 can be used to take advantage of the spray arc mode for example. GMAW has the advantage of multiple arc modes wherein this is not available in other arc welding processes.