Alloy numbers

Old 09-05-02, 07:15 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alloy numbers

Is there any system for the numbers on those speciallty alloy rods like tool and die or are they just particular to the company that made them, like model numbers.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-02, 05:47 AM
Steve U S Alloy
Visiting Guest
If you are referring to

tool steel designations such as A5 or D2, those are numbers that identify a particular type. For instance, the A5 would be an air hardening type. (That is a bit of an over simplification.)

If you are referring to the numbers used by MRO companies, those are proprietary numbers unique to each company. Numbers like 680, 707, 889, 2222, and so forth. I can cross reference practically any MRO number for you if there is one in particular.

Generally, with tool steels, I ask the question "how will it be quenched?" and I will want to know the environment. That will help determine if the alloy is hot working, high speed, etc. In some cases I have recommended a hardfacing material for a tool steel application or a tool steel for a hardfacing application. In many instances I have recommended a powder for creating a sacrificial coating or for creating a composite die.
HTH,
Steve