how to spot weld

Old 09-07-02, 11:31 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
how to spot weld

can you make spot welds with a MIG welder? Im doing british car restoration and would like to try and replicate spot welds on the new rocker panels. This looks to be a great forum for me as Im all new to welding! Thanks-Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-02, 05:05 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Josh- It depends on the welder. The one we use at work has a switch on it to allow you to spot weld.Maybe yours doesn't? I think with some practice on scrap pieces of the same thickness metal you probably could learn to do it anyway.... A teacher I had one time told me that welding is 90% psychological and 10% technique. After welding for a few years I think he may be right....I've also seen spot welding done with a stick welder, again it is with some patience and practice. We used to have a spot welder at work- all it did was held a stick rod in a holder within a frame and when you pulled the trigger it pushed the rod into the work - kind of a controlled stick weld if you will..... Good Luck.

Old 09-08-02, 09:51 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sure, you can make great spot welds with any kind of arc welder. You could practice a bit on scrap like Toni says for proper burn thru technique but what I might do is drill a hole in the outer piece then you can zot it with the welder till you fill it. Trying some practice ones might not be a bad idea. The hole need not be very large,, 3/16 or so. It will be kind of a plug weld when you are finished. It would help to clean the metal of the piece that is underneath also. You should be able to completely fill the plug with no pinholes after a few tries. Remember when you lay your mig gun down the gas wants to run out,, sometimes I bump the trigger before welding to fill the cup up so its right there when you weld. The gas is heavier than air.