Metal Cutting "Cable Saw" Needed

Old 09-27-02, 05:55 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
Metal Cutting "Cable Saw" Needed

Hello All:
I am in the process of Modding my side panel on my computer case.
The design that I will be cutting out has alot of curves to it and some of the curves are rather small. 1/4" in size and 1/4 moon curve cut's.

I have cut PVC pipe with a tool called a CABLE SAW and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a Cable saw that will cut through Metal.

If not

Could someone recommend something that will make this project a bit eaiser for me.
TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-02, 05:59 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
this is a Cable Saw used for cutting Pvc pipe

Well my picture didn't appear. sorry

Old 09-27-02, 08:40 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may nee to change design to make it more fabrication friendly. Enlarge or simplify details. But that said, I wonder if anyone has used a roto zip on sheetmetal?? A jigsaw does work somewhat too. None of these options are going to be quiet so do it when the neighbors are not home,, and stuff cig butts in your ears. There are some hand held hand operated nibblers too but I couldnt find one in catalog. You might find someone to plasma cut also which is likely what I would do in my own shop. Maybe someone else has other ideas.

Old 09-28-02, 09:16 AM
Re: Metal Cutting "Cable Saw" Needed

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hollywood
[B]Not seeing the lay out its hard to say for sure.But i would try and just drill the 1/4" hole's and then cut up to them with tin snips
Like a wiss aviation snips. You can get them in a bulldog snip's it can cut up to 16 gauge or .065" ED

Old 09-28-02, 01:00 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
Hopefully the pic will upload today.

Cannot use snip's this is a computer case not a piece of trac,stud,or tin.

Old 09-28-02, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
Hopefully the pic will upload today.

Cannot use snip's this is a computer case not a piece of trac,stud,or tin.
??????? lost here, you are talking about the tower??? I have cut mine out to let more air out with another fan. ED

Old 09-28-02, 02:07 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
The Door "SIDE PANEL" on my MAIN Computer case where all the Part's are located on the inside.

I will be Cutting Out A Design Then I will be installing a piece of Acrylic to make a see through WINDOW.

And Then

I will be installing a BLUE NEON LIGHT so that when everything is cut out and the Acrylic WINDOW and lights are installed the case will look cool.

Hence WINDOW

Old 09-28-02, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
The Door "SIDE PANEL" on my MAIN Computer case where all the Part's are located on the inside.

I will be Cutting Out A Design Then I will be installing a piece of Acrylic to make a see through WINDOW.

And Then

I will be installing a BLUE NEON LIGHT so that when everything is cut out and the Acrylic WINDOW and lights are installed the case will look cool.

Hence WINDOW
OK: Like i said I have cut mine out ok ,the case on a tower is only about 24 gage.How will you get the heat from the light out of your case??This all puts more load on your CPU chip. I know i added another fan and it sure helped
ED

Old 01-20-03, 08:34 PM
Skaggydog
Visiting Guest
I seen a saw like that at the fair. It was very flexable and had a ring on each end to pull it with your fingers and both hands. They even gave you a free one to use after you broke the first one. But are you sure that covering the cutout and puting a light in it will make it cool?

Old 01-21-03, 09:08 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
This answer is probably a few weeks late, but I think a jewelers saw with a large frame or harp would work. Resembling a large coping saw or hacksaw, the "blades" of a jewelers saw are very VERY thin wire and it can cut any shape in any direction in almost any thin material. I have one that I bought used at a flea market. It's got an 8" deep frame and has "Covington Engineering, Redlands Ca." stamped on it. The seller included a package with .085 sized replacement wires. Handy tool that may work for this project if you can locate and contact Covington.

Old 02-03-03, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Question

Hollywood:

I was wondering how you made out with your case mod.

Old 02-04-03, 09:43 AM
cut out

Was just down to CompUSA todayThey have the towers with the sides cut out and a acrylic side in it. As I said before with the light They have added another fan on it to get the heat out ED