mig welder

Old 10-01-02, 06:49 PM
jeguzzi
Visiting Guest
mig welder

I am thinking about buying a mig welder. I may try to build a utility trailer (5' x 10'). That would probaly be my biggest project. I would like to stay with 110 volts if possible. Any advice on type and size would be appreciated.

Thanks-Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-02, 04:25 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Be back in 2 hrs

Old 10-02-02, 07:01 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok,, back. We talk about this down a few posts. Did you read the one from Josh 1? Personally I try to stay away from the 110 units although some of them work very well,, with limited thickness material and wire size. Most people tend to overestimate the need for being portable and I have a small one that I could move,, and have. I made a cord that goes to dryers or range plugs for the purpose or even take a min and direct wire if I had to. But it rarely comes up. Now,, a 110 machine is also limited by incoming power and a good one needs 30 Amp 120 service so most places are underpowered to run them off of the standard wall plug anyway,, to far and too light of wire to make the machine run well. They run .023 well and can be used for some light fab but really requires a bit higher skill to do a good job than one with enough power. A small 230 machine just naturally has better incoming power supply and seem to work better,,, also they will run .030 well which makes it ok for both sheet metal and light fab without trying to run the machine wide open all the time,, hence it will last longer and be more versatile. Stretch when you buy this machine and get one that will take a 10# spool (cost of wire is dramatically cheaper) and a gas solonoid. Hobart make one available through Tractor Supply and in several catalogs. I like to do business with a welding store where you can get a bit of tech help if you need. Lincoln makes a nice little machine too,,, very durable. Good gun comes with that. Get an S bottle of gas,, big enough you dont have to fill all the time,,, cheaper fill too.

Old 10-18-02, 08:18 AM
binford
Visiting Guest
welder

I just bought the Miller 135, with the bottel, wire, misc, tax. cost was just under $700.00 welder $525.00. Its a great welder for light ga. steel. 3/16 is the max size it's rated for. I also just built a trailer this pasted winter and I used an stick welder for welding the frame and so forth. You could find a used Miller or Lincoln 225 Amp 220volt welder for heavy ga metal, and buy the new 110v too.