PowerMIG vs. Millermatic

Old 10-15-02, 09:37 PM
Patrick F.
Visiting Guest
PowerMIG vs. Millermatic

In the shopping process for a new MIG welder 250 or 300 amp. Looking at Lincoln and Miller. Anyone have any opinions on Lincoln's PowerMIG or Miller's Millermatics? Specifically if you have either and what you like or don't like.

Much appreciated

Old 10-16-02, 07:49 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am not up on newest machines,,, but historically the Millers had a few more features. Both are going to be good as the weld machine biz is extremely competitive. I have mostly Lincoln as at the time the local dealer was one lined. I have a Lincoln 255 something,, but it has a slow run in feature I really like. The wire moves slow for 2 seconds or until arc is struck,, I find this useful for purging the cup full of gas prior to arc strike. I will look next time I am in the store and check out the new Lincoln. My last one I got old fasion controls instead of electroinc,, it was just a prefrence and as I recall it was about 300 cheaper. I just didnt need the auto set up features that they tried to pitch with that,,, and the problems I see with new machines end up on those printed circuit cards. So,,, Lincoln or Miller is just about like Ford or Chevy debate,,,except they are more reliable than trucks,,,, maybe we get some opins from others on this.

Old 10-18-02, 08:01 AM
binford
Visiting Guest
go for the chevy

At the size of the system you are buying the differences a small. You will be happy with either one. FYI Millier now offers there better feed rollers on there smaller units, I just bought the 135 and very happy with it. I would see if there is a farm show or something like that going to happen in your area. Last year at the world ag fair Miller offered a killer deal, you got a spool gun for free. Also the dealer in my area has a try before you buy, so you can try either brand. I have now have 3 Miller welders, it just worked out that way. I allways looked at either Miller or Lincoln. I got the 75% CO2 / 25% argon for real smooth welding, low splatter.

Old 10-19-02, 07:32 AM
alumtuna
Visiting Guest
Wink

got the Millermatic 250x (up to 300 amp). Very happy w/ it. Welding a trailer and such so far.

Go w/ Miller or Lincoln not much difference. Other web site say the same thing. Most gas places around my area also carry both lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: