ARC Welder requirements

Old 11-26-02, 09:13 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ARC Welder requirements

I've been contemplating getting an ARC welder down the road but am unfamiliar with the electrical requirements. I took a look at some at a retailer but most were wirefeed and the ARC unit wasn't open, I didn't want to tear into it as I wasn't 'planning' on purchasing the unit then. I've got a 30A 220 dedicated circuit in my garage. Is that enough juice for a moderately sized unit??

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 11-26-02, 10:36 AM
S
Smaller wirefeeds will run on that,, but MOST common arc welders require a 50 amp circuit. I see one at Home Depot the oher day,, AC/DC Lincoln that seemed priced right. Its worth the extra 100 to get one with dc as the options of rods are much greater and vert and overhead are much easier.

Old 11-28-02, 02:15 AM
suprsnic
Visiting Guest
ARC WELDER REQUIREMENTS

I WAS VERY SURPRISED WHEN I RECEIVED THE OWNERS MANUAL FROM LINCOLN ELECTRIC. I HAVE A SMALL BUZZ BOX, 185 AMP LINCLOLN. INSTRUCTIONS STATED THAT IT COULD BE WIRED WITH #12 BUT #10 WAS RECOMMENDED. #10 IS USUALLY RUN FOR 30 AMP CIRCUITS.

Old 11-28-02, 10:08 PM
S
Actually the type of plug on the end of the welder cord will tell the story. I havnt seen a 30 A stick machine in a while. Most new ones are 50 and have a 6-50P and use a 6-50R P & R stand for plug and recept.

Old 07-17-06, 09:44 PM
D
Came across this thread and I am currently looking at this very same welder. Will it work on 220 30 amp - that is the largest circuit that I currently have - I am not looking at welding very thick steel - 1/4" would be rare. I did see that it does have a 50amp plug- can this be conerted down to a 30amp plug?

Thanks!

Dustoff

Old 07-18-06, 07:46 AM
Here's the deal. If you plan to run a welder for 1/4" material, go ahead and add the 50 amp circuit. Do not just convert the receptacle for your dryer circuit. It may cost as much for the circuit as it does for the welder itself, so be aware of what an electrician will charge. Some of the work you can do yourself.
Let's say $400 for the welder and $200 for the circuit. There is an alternative - engine drive - but it is considerably more expensive and the gasoline engine can only be run outdoors.

Old 07-23-06, 07:45 AM
T
it would probably not be a bad idea to get a couple electrical moderators in on this with a couple experienced welders to write a straight forward tutorial and make it a sticky. Ive been across 4 forums looking for a straight answer and in all of them had at least 2 active posts asking about the same thing.
just a thought

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: