century 70

Old 12-08-02, 08:44 AM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
century 70

i was looking to buy a century 70 as my first welder. I wanted something small because I can only use 110 and i dont have the money for a big one. I wanted to know if it was any good. I will be using it to build a gokart and will be receiving instruction from my friends dad in exchange for work.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-02, 01:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not sure what a century 70 is. Is it stick or wirefeed? At any rate you will soon be dissapointed with a 70 Amp machine in any event. I tke it you are in a garage that has only 120V wiring run to it? Also lots of times it is a long run from the electric panel and any kind of machine does not work very good on it. Often the lighting is on the same circuit as you are trying to weld on.

Old 12-08-02, 05:43 PM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
its stick. the plug is right by the box. I dont plan on doing any real heavy welding. it said it would weld up to 1/4 inch thick and the tubing for the gokart wont be any thicker than that.

Old 12-08-02, 11:14 PM
S
One thing to consider is that if you are near the box you have 240V availiable. You can try the 70a machine if you like but I have never seen one that worked well and they sit around gathering dust after the owner gets disgusted and buys something bigger. Rods that will run on them are expensive and hard to find. How much is one of those? I see a AC225 lincoln for about 230$ or so,,, but I would save my nickles for a bit and go for a AC/DC Lincoln or Miller and I see them at home depot for a bit over 300 or so,,, dont exactly remember. When you get one of those you are buying a tool that you could possibly use for the rest of your life and there is a greater choice of rods. Wirefeeds are the hot ticket for shop fab but expertise in stick is where the money in the profession is. I have made many things and a lot of money with one of those machines. I still have one in my shop and use it every once in a while.

Old 12-09-02, 08:10 AM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
the problem is that i dont have room for another breaker. i would buy a bigger one if i could.

Old 12-09-02, 11:35 AM
S
What brand of electric panel is it? Some will accept tandem breakers and it should say so in the cover. Putting in 2 tandems would free up the 2 spaces that you need. You could install a 6 space sub right next to it to free up some spaces.

Old 12-09-02, 06:26 PM
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
Agree with sberry27, you will be dissapointed with a 70 amp stick welder. I had a 110 wire machine which was tolerable but severly limited the work I could do. Sold it, bought a 220v machine and love it. If you run into too many problems trying to get set up for arc welding you might want to consider a ox/acy setup for a project such as this. You'll learn a lot of good skills and and have a fabricating and repair tool that's usefull every day. It's just a thought.

Old 12-31-02, 05:06 AM
sdodd
Visiting Guest
Century 70

Another thing: the claim that you can weld up to 1/4 " steel probably means that you can do it but it will take multiple passes. And that will get old quickly, especially since that machine will have a low duty cycle at the upper ranges. Have to agree with the others- figure a way to get a bigger machine.

Old 01-19-03, 08:02 PM
Skaggydog
Visiting Guest
70 amp welder?? I ain't riding in that go-cart!! If you can weld, use the oxy/acetline as sugested by scrapiron. If you can't weld DON'T use a 70 amp arc welder.

Old 01-19-03, 08:11 PM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
yeah i decided to buy a lincoln wire feed. (dont remember the exact name right now).

Old 01-19-03, 08:20 PM
Skaggydog
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by ringoryan8
yeah i decided to buy a lincoln wire feed. (dont remember the exact name right now).
ANY Lincoln that's running can weld a go-cart, if you use it right. Have fun and try not to get hert.