cutting torch advice needed

Old 12-09-02, 03:41 AM
John Hall
Visiting Guest
cutting torch advice needed

hello all, im wanting to finally set up a cutting torch in my little home shop. i already have a small set of oxy/acty. bottles a smith and victor torch but am needing new hose and regulators.

what i need to know is : are the low end guages by smith and victor good units? also about check valves and FB arrestors? do i get the ones for torch end or reg. end , or both?? are some better than others?

being as i have not cut in over 25 years i also need to know the proper way to set the regs and fire it up. i do intend to read all directions but thought that you fellas might give me a heads up as to what i should really watch out for. thank you all, john

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-02, 05:49 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
There is good set-up, operational, and safety info at Metal Web News:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/wc.html

Old 12-09-02, 06:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Right now my welding supplier was offering a trade in deal for Victors. Your old reg and 75$ gets you a new one. I just replaced an Oxy on this deal. Either Smiths or Victor is fine. You may check with a supplier in your area to see if this is an across the board deal for Victor. I think torches are a personal taste thing just like Ford or Chevy. I dont really have a prefrence on regulaters as long as it delivers the gas but I tend to favor Victor torches. I just like them better then the feathered flame of the Smiths although I do have one. There also seems to be less problems with tip seats. For home use I wouldnt be so fussy as I am here as I use 2 or 3 units and standardization is somewhat important. I just check the site that was recomended on the previous post,, great site,, I am going to have to do some exploring. Thanks

Old 12-21-02, 06:12 PM
John Hall
Visiting Guest
Smile thanks and update

thanks for the replies guys. the company that fills my bottles (Holox) not sure were abouts they cover, but are in Florida. bought a set of their house brand. regs torch hose and goggles. salesman (which i have dealt with a good while from my job) says they are made by Victor for Holox. and are the same as a Medalist line of tool. out the door was 226.00 this included 5# of 6011. i added it up and if i had pieced it together would have been right at 300. so i did ok for a change. i hope all you fellas have a good and safe holiday. sincerely john

Old 01-14-03, 03:06 PM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
Torches

About your regulators, the size of your regulators determines the amount of volume, if you are trying to run a big rose bud heating torch you may find you cannot get enouph volume to run the torch wide open.
I use check valves on my torch side of the hose and FLASH BACK ARRESTORS on the regulator side of the hose you will survive if your hose blows up but not if your tanks blow up.
Remember to never oil your regulators they say the oil off your hand is enoph to cause an explosion if you were to pull your regulator apart to work on the diaphram inside.
Remember If you have a small gas bottle you are not suppose to use more than 1/7th of your volume per hr. or the acytelene will become unstable and also never use more than 15#s of presure on the acytelene.

Good luck and stay safe.