Spring temper?

Old 12-13-02, 12:10 AM
TCM
Visiting Guest
Spring temper?

Just the other day, I was doing some intensive arc welding. Later the same day, I found that the temper(for lack of a better term) in the spring in the ground clamp was gone. What was previously a very tight spring that required a major grip was non existent later in the same day? Any ideas on how to avoid this?

Would appreciate any tips. Thanx TCM

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-02, 05:45 PM
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
The construction of most ground clamps allows for the current flow to follow a straight path from the cable, through primary side of the clamp, to the work. If you happened to get a better contact on the top or spring loaded side of the clamp you may have had current running through the spring which could generate enough heat to cause loss of temper. This is just a guess, someone else may have a better answer.

Old 12-13-02, 07:19 PM
weldnut
Visiting Guest
I've found that heat gererated by poor grounds is the cause for spring failures. Arcing at the ground contact area caused by paint,rust,grease or any number of things creates resistance to current flow thus producing heat thats transfered to the clamp itself. Ever take a ground off after welding and it's HOT?

Always clean the ground area and have clamp as close to your arc as practical. Also when welding material thats bolted or rivited or joined together other than a weld, arcing between these points also can cause heat build up at the ground or at the stinger (rod holder).

Hope this answers and solves your problem.

Old 01-04-03, 04:09 PM
sdodd
Visiting Guest
ground clamp

I've had the same problem with certain clamp designs. It seems that if the connection to the base metal is better on one side of the clamp than the other, the current can travel through the spring from one side to the other. The spring heats up and loses it's spring! I've found that the clamps with the "mousetrap" type springs don't have this problem as often.

Old 01-04-03, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some really heavy and good clamps have a braided copper jumper lead from one side of the clamp to the other to provide a current path other than the spring.